DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Getting Sennheiser G2 or G3 wireless mics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/358929-getting-sennheiser-g2-g3-wireless-mics.html)

Andres Montana Duret September 4th, 2009 04:33 AM

Getting Sennheiser G2 or G3 wireless mics

Hey everyone!

I'm completing my basic audio kit. I already have a shotgun mic, mixer, recorder, boom pole and good headphones, so I think what I need next is one or two wireless mics.

Considering that the G3 sennheiser wireless systems have just been released I can get a couple of G2s for a good price, even giving me the option to invest in better mics.

What is your opinion about this? what are the pros and cons of getting either of them?
Should I wait and save some more money to get the G3s?

Thanks.

Andres.

Paul R Johnson September 4th, 2009 04:41 AM

Most users of G2 are perfectly happy with the audio quality. It seems that G3 will be good for people who need to have access to more facilities (ok, gadgets) and the on camera receiver with diversity is a useful addition. That said, they are expensive, and with the radio mic industry in limbo due to the frequency changes in the pipeline, I'd buy G2 at the discounted prices, and leave G3 for the big hire companies - if they think they can get their money's worth out of them. G2 is of course the most widely counterfeited product (or at least seems like it) - so make sure you get one from a proper dealer - NOT eBay!

Kevin Walsh September 4th, 2009 05:07 PM

Hi, I just went through this same dilemma. I decided to go with the G2 to save a few bucks, but I'm starting to think that I should have bought the diversity system because of the relatively low power (30mW) of the transmitters. Hopefully the G2 and G3 are compatible so if I want a diversity system I can just buy a receiver.
I have a Lectrosonics (100mW) set up and I have never had a drop out. Not one in 5 years!
However the G2 is about 1/5 the price and it sounds very good. I don't care much for the supplied ME2 mic.

BTW-Paul is right there are a lot of counterfeits on ebay. Get it from a dealer.

John Willett September 6th, 2009 11:02 AM

All evolution is fully compatible with each other, so you can safely mix and match.

Personally I would go for the G3 for the diversity on the camera receiver.

If you are using the licence-free deregulated frequencies in the 863-864MHz band - there is no change on these frequencies in 2012 in the UK and they are legal all over Europe - 4 frequencies work together in this band.

Kevin Richard September 7th, 2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 1319570)
If you are using the licence-free deregulated frequencies in the 863-864MHz band - there is no change on these frequencies in 2012 in the UK and they are legal all over Europe - 4 frequencies work together in this band.

Not to hi-jack here but speaking of freqs... the way BH reads it sounds like they have 4 bands with 1440 tunable frequencies... so is that 4 x 1440?

Realistically, how many systems can I use side by side? Is there any benefit to getting them all in the same "band" (a,b,c,d) or should is spread it out?

I'm looking to get at least 8 systems to use simultaneously.

Garrett Low September 7th, 2009 01:36 PM

I'd be really interested in hearing any reviews from people who have used the G3 Systems. I'm looking to get a wireless system and am in the same boat as many. Save money on a G2 system or get the G3. I live in the San Francisco Bay area (Northern California) and according to Sennheiser's frequency finder on their web site I believe I should be using the A block or new G block transmitters for my area.

Thanks,
Garrett

John Willett September 8th, 2009 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Richard (Post 1323595)
Not to hi-jack here but speaking of freqs... the way BH reads it sounds like they have 4 bands with 1440 tunable frequencies... so is that 4 x 1440?

Realistically, how many systems can I use side by side? Is there any benefit to getting them all in the same "band" (a,b,c,d) or should is spread it out?

I'm looking to get at least 8 systems to use simultaneously.

In G2 there are 9 memory banks with 4 frequencies in each one (100 series)
In G3 there are 9 memory banks with 10 frequencies in each one (100 series)

The frequencies in each bank will all work together - *don't* mix banks.

The last bank you can set the frequencies yourself.

1440 just refers to the number of "click-stops" between the lowest and highest possible frequency in the user bank. only a small number of these will catually work together at the same time.

Kevin Richard September 8th, 2009 10:04 AM

I'm still confused.

This past weekend we rented and had 8 Shure ULX systems and they seemed to be set all over the place... the guy really didn't seem to know what he was doing yet it all worked.

From what you just said it seems like I would only be able to use 4 systems together, but that seems unlikely so there must be some miscommunication somewhere (I'm sure it's on my end ;) ).

Colin McDonald September 8th, 2009 10:44 AM

Kevin, I'm sure you are going to get a more complete answer than this. But here goes anyway:

The Senny G2s will scan what's already in the air at the location and give you 4 channels within the one bank within a minute or so. I've used Sennheiser G2s nae bother even when the air was thick with other stuff. I haven't used more than 4 channels of G2s at once myself, but I have used 5/6 mixed G2s and other Senny radiomics without any probs.

I would expect that you could repeat the scan for a second set of 4 channels and get that to work as well. My personal record is 11 channels of mixed radiomics of several different makes and models plus other radiolinks (Senny Freeports carrying the mixer outputs wirelessly to a power amp). It all worked flawlessly though some would say that would take a miracle.

Floris van Eck October 5th, 2009 12:13 PM

What are the main differences between the G2 and G3 kits?

I saw a nice deal for a G2 set which I might buy.

But if the G3 is much better in quality, I might pay the $100 extra or something.

Can someone please explain?

I am also considering the Audio-Technica AT18XX kit. How do the Audio-Technica wireless lavalier compare to the Sennheiser ME-2? I like the dual receiver of Audio-Technica. But they are like 30% more expensive.

Marco Leavitt October 6th, 2009 10:30 AM

To me this is a no-brainer. Don't settle for less than the G3. You're already pushing it by even considering low budget wireless. At the very least give yourself the advantage of diversity.

Jon Braeley October 6th, 2009 04:28 PM

Dont want to hijack the thread, but just lately I have been scanning with the receiver and it shows me 00 channels - then I get, not the default frequency but just one frequence only. I am unable to get 4 channels to work with. Is this a new situation due to bandwidth changes - I cannot think so.

Floris van Eck October 7th, 2009 12:23 AM

Can someone explain to me what exactly "diversity" means in a receiver and what the advantages are in terms of usability and quality.

A G2 kit with receiver, transmitter, microphone and plug-in costs 395 pounds. The G3 version of the same kit costs 545. That's a 150 pound difference. The people I know with a G2 system don't encounter many problems with them (Mainland Europe).

So I am trying to figure out what makes the G3 worth the extra 150 pound? And I can't wait too long as stock for the G2 isn't unlimited anymore.

Thanks again.

Colin McDonald October 7th, 2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floris van Eck (Post 1428913)
Can someone explain to me what exactly "diversity" means in a receiver and what the advantages are in terms of usability and quality.

Radio microphone information help file, UK frequency allocations, user guide by GB Audio
What is the difference between Single channel, Diversity and True Diversity?
Single channel receivers have one antenna and one receiver circuit. Diversity receivers have two antennae and a circuit which selects the strongest signal. True Diversity receivers have two totally independent RF receiver modules and a circuit which selects the best channel for both signal strength and signal-to-noise ratio.

The G3 kits are described as "adaptive diversity". I don't think that's the same as "true diversity" because Sennheiser describes some other less portable products as "true diversity." But their single channel G2s are pretty damn good, so the G3s will be even more reliable.

The advantage of any diversity wireless system is that it gives a redundancy - there is a second path waiting should the first one become interrupted. That does not solve all problems in the field, but it cuts out a lot of potential dropouts.

Floris van Eck October 7th, 2009 03:33 AM

Thanks Colin!

That clarifies it for me. I have to assess if diversity is worth 150 pounds to me. I can see how it can safe your day in hectic situations. The people I talk to with G2 systems say they seldom have problems with it. It might depend on the locations where you shoot.