6.1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 9th, 2004, 07:08 PM   #1
Major Player

6.1?

Hey guys,

I was recently reading a review of the new Return of the King Extended Edition DVD and 6.1 surround sound was mentioned. I've never heard of it before but the article makes it sound as if it is much better than 5.1. What is it exactly? Is this something that can be mixed cheaply?
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #2
Trustee

It's called "DTS ES" or "DD ES". Since it is fairly new, there are not a lot of encoders (e.g.,
DTS Pro Series surround encoder
).

Seems gimmicky to me, but what do I know.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

well, its not really another channel which is encoded withint the Dolby or DTS stream, its Extended bitstream data sent to the decoder to "advise" it how to configure the extra channel.

Its not brain surgery, basically any Dolby Digital encoder (ie TRUE dolby digital encoder found in Vegas, NOT premiere or liquid) will allow you to set the extended bitstream values depending on your configuration within the encode.

Dolby Digital and DTS is only TRUE 6 chanels, anym more and you run the risk of excessive bandwidth.
The "EX" or 6.1 or 7.1 refers to extended bitstream (which is another word for Metadata) within the stream. Its not actual audio data within the AC3 or DTS file.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio