Beachtek DXA2s and general mic questions. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 14th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Beachtek DXA2s and general mic questions.

I've got some questions about setting volume controls on my new mic setup.

Here's what I've got;
TRV950, AT897, and Beachtek DXA 2s.

Where should I set the in camera volume control relative to the Beachtek? The instructions state that the Beachtek should be turned all the way up and adjust the levels using the camera controls. Wouldn't all the way up result in distortion?
Also, it's much easier turning the controls on the adapter than menuing my way with the in camera controls.

I'm going to be using this mainly in mono mode, the instructions that came with it states "When in MONO mode, be sure to keep
the volume control for the unused channel fully clockwise to reduce the loading effect on the working channel."
Fully clockwise would be set to 10. Does this make sense? I'd think it would need to be set to 0.

Oh and while I'm at it, while I think I'm going to use this mostly with boom, inevitably this will end up on my camera. Is there any real difference in camera mounted shock mounts. I'm looking for one that won't scratch the finish of the mic but hold it firmly and can be used both on and off camera. Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for answering my newb questions.
sorry if this had been answered b4, I didn't know how to keyword it to get results.
Cliff Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Here's a few answers:

The Beachtek is a passive device -- setting the gain controls to maximum results in no distortion within the device.

The gain controls increment in fixed stops -- it's not a smooth transition -- if you can live with that, it's OK.

Turning the gain down to minimum on an unused channel will, in fact, load the other channel due to the internal circuitry -- leave it at max. You can experiment with this and hear the effect.
Old December 15th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #3
Major Player

why not check the behringer preamp for 50 dollars.
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio