DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Use of Shotgun on GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/36748-use-shotgun-gl2.html)

Joe Hewes December 22nd, 2004 09:10 AM

Use of Shotgun on GL2

Newbie question here:

I see many folks recommending the AT897 shotgun mic (B&H seems to have a good deal on this right now that includes a camera-mount shock mount and a XLR cable, FYI).

Are people mounting this mic on their camera, on a boom, or both? Seems that, even at just 11 inches, this mic mounted on a smaller camera such as a GL2 might give one a poke in the eye. Or maybe this works great and is worlds better than the built-in mic (which, on the GL2, I hear is pretty poor in terms of rear rejection).

Thanks for insights,

John Lee December 22nd, 2004 09:28 AM

Any good quality shotgun will give you much better sound than the built-in mic.

I bought an AT shotgun, I think the 835 or 853...I'm not sure of the number. But, it was way too long. 18" I think. It looks pretty goofy on my little GL2, but it works great when I have an XL1s, and that's part of why I got it.

Dunno much about the b&h kit, but I can tell you that a really good shock mount is essential. I don't have one for my GL2, and whenever I make quick pans or movements with the camera, the boom picks it up.

As cumbersome as it is, it's still a lot better than using the built in mic.

Jeff Toogood December 22nd, 2004 09:36 AM

I have a AT-897 on my GL2 and it does stick out, but it's not that bad.
Shorter than the ME66 I had before, and even with the wide angle lens it does not show up in the frame.

Bryan Beasleigh December 22nd, 2004 10:27 AM

Try mounting an on camera mic on a "grip" setup like the Mighty Wondercam Mini Rover. There's something to hang onto and your handheld stuff will be much steadier. there is also no fear of the mic showing up in the top of the frame.

You could use a "flash bracket" but the quality and usability won't be the same.

Jake Sawyer December 22nd, 2004 11:24 AM

I just did a short documentary where it was just me running and gunning myself doing interviews and I have a AT4073a mic hanging off my GL2. It's pretty big, but it really didn't cause any maneuvering issues for me. I also bought the AT8415 mount with the microphone. It is your cheapest route and you really do get what you pay for! I hated the thing. The shoe adapter broke on me in the first week(maybe my own fault) and all through out my shoots it kept slipping out and banging my camera up. The AT8415 has a lot of space to wobble and make unnecessary noise. So, I would definitely recommend the K-Tek KSMS Shockmount with the "ultra soft" suspenders.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=331126&is=REG

It's kind of pricey, but you really get what you pay for. Don't forget to buy the shoe adapter also. This is my experience with the whole issue.

Jay Massengill December 22nd, 2004 01:54 PM

The K-Tek mounts, and the deluxe K-Tek bands for the AT8415 are superior to the stock 8415, but if the stock unit is rigged correctly, the mic won't slip around. You have to criss-cross the stock horizontal bands at the front and rear to securely hold a shotgun mic.
The shoe adapters I've seen that you can buy for use with an 8415 are all metal. It doesn't come with a shoe mount included. How did you break it? I have heard of the Beyer shockmount with a shoe, that B&H is now basically giving away, breaking but it's plastic.

Bryan Beasleigh December 22nd, 2004 06:54 PM

K Tech make a shoe mount version of the KSSM and KSM, it doesn't have the extra articulated joint and it sells for $75 at B&H. I use the KSSM with the soft rubber on my MKH60 as well as my Octava's and my Schoeps.

K-Tek is very good stuff, worth the money