very basic questions about audio gl2 and shotgun at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:42 PM   #1
Tourist

very basic questions about audio gl2 and shotgun

i have no knowledge about audio. i have a gl2 with ma 300 adapter and two xlr y cables. i have some very basic questions about my possible audio setup.

1 first what are the differences between differnet mics

i plan on getting a lower end shotgun under 200 and most likely mount it to my camera or some other setup that i can handle. or possibly two
2 are certain shotguns able to capture many different sound settings ( long distance, ambient, dialouge, stereo, mono)
3 what would be the best all around shotgun for under 200 that would be good for film type dialouge settings while still being very versatile.
4 can you use a shockmount with the ma 300 and what would be the outcome if you didnt use one.
5 would you recommend using the camera mounted shotgun to record film style dialouge.
6 i use a homemade steady cam and would there be alot of noise if i used a mounted shotgun with alot of movement
thanks
Thom
Thomas Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:07 PM   #2
Trustee

Welcome aboard Thomas

Do some searching as well as reading some of the older threads.
There's a current thread that's discussing the GL2 and shotguns.

i'd advise you to reset your target price to above $250. You won't finfd a decent shotgun below that price, but that's just my opinion. it's better to do without and save the extra money to buy a good microphone.

The best entry level would be the Audio technica 835b followed by the AT897. the 835g is 14.5" long and a tad unwieldy, the 815 can be used as a javalin and the best of the bunch is the 11" 897 at $280.

There are cheaper mics and in 5 years when your AT is worth almost what you paid for it the other bargain brands will be in the crapper. Most people that buy cheap will wind up "eating' the first prchase (meaning, you'll never get your money out of it)
Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: very basic questions about audio gl2 and shotgun

<<<-- Originally posted by Thomas Yorke : i have no knowledge about audio. i have a gl2 with ma 300 adapter and two xlr y cables. i have some very basic questions about my possible audio setup.
1 first what are the differences between differnet mics
i plan on getting a lower end shotgun under 200 and most likely mount it to my camera or some other setup that i can handle. or possibly two.

++Good luck with that. I've haven't heard a shotgun for under $200 that was worth a crap.

2 are certain shotguns able to capture many different sound settings ( long distance, ambient, dialouge, stereo, mono)

++Not so much. There are combo mics; stereo/shotgun, for example. They are either stereo (sometimes with different spreads) or mono shotguns.

3 what would be the best all around shotgun for under 200 that would be good for film type dialouge settings while still being very versatile.

++I haven't heard the Rode VideoMic yet. It's a camera mount mono shotgun that you'll soon be hearing about. It should street for about $160. I have one here, but haven't heard it yet.

4 can you use a shockmount with the ma 300 and what would be the outcome if you didnt use one.

++Dunno.

5. would you recommend using the camera mounted shotgun to record film style dialouge.

++Absolutely not.

6 i use a homemade steady cam and would there be alot of noise if i used a mounted shotgun with alot of movement
thanks
Thom -->>>

++Mounted to what, the steadycam rig? If you had the best sort of suspension mount, maybe.

Want so tips on sound? I've got a book that will help you a lot. Check it out on my site.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio