DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   DC Adapter for g2 reciever?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/368865-dc-adapter-g2-reciever.html)

Kevin Richard September 6th, 2009 09:33 PM

DC Adapter for g2 reciever??

Is there anyway to hook up one? Anyone ever come up with a way to make one... I'd think it wouldn't be too hard (9v would be easier).

I need about 8 units and I figured I'd get about 3 with the camera mount recievers for other uses at times. Since half the time I wouldn't be needing them wireless I'd like to have them hooked to an adapter.

Any ideas?

Mario Vermunt September 7th, 2009 02:02 AM

A DC adapter is availabel from sennheiser. It's the DC2 and it takes anything from 10.5 to 16 volts. See: Sennheiser | DC2 - DC Camera Power Converter | DC2 | B&H Photo

Steve House September 7th, 2009 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Richard (Post 1321332)
Is there anyway to hook up one? Anyone ever come up with a way to make one... I'd think it wouldn't be too hard (9v would be easier).

I need about 8 units and I figured I'd get about 3 with the camera mount recievers for other uses at times. Since half the time I wouldn't be needing them wireless I'd like to have them hooked to an adapter.

Any ideas?

Do you mean an AC adapter to allow you to run the recievers off of mains power? The DC2 adapter Mario pointed out is only part of the puzzle ... it replaces the battery pack in the receiver to proved a connection but the other end of the cable is just bare wire, you still have to feed it with about 12vDC from some source.

Mario Vermunt September 7th, 2009 09:15 AM

I must admit I did not quit understand the full question. If you want to connect the transmitters/receivers to the mains the DC2 still would be useful, combined with a cheap 12 volt power source (DC of course). Stabilization takes place in the DC2.

Kevin Richard September 7th, 2009 10:27 AM

Sorry for any confusion... that is it completely... but not at $60 bucks... that's just insane. $60 for a faux battery and cover. I guess it works for those looking to connect it to an Anton's type of system. But, yes I want to connect it to mains, not just another battery.

So, I'll probably just make a faux battery and send it 3 volts myself.

Thanks for the info either way.

Any DIY'rs do this yet?

John Willett September 8th, 2009 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Richard (Post 1323592)
$60 for a faux battery and cover.

The DC2 is *not* just a "dummy battery" it's a sealed pack with a circuit inside that takes in a wide range of voltages and converts it down to the voltage required, regulating it along the way.

And $60 sounds pretty cheap to me for a professional adaptor that sells in low quantaties which comes complete with replacement battery door, replacement hinges and cable.

To run from the mains, use teh NT 2 power supply and connect it to the cable from the DC2.

Kevin Richard September 8th, 2009 10:07 AM

I agree, IF, as I said, I wanted to hook it up to another battery system on my camera. But to just hook up to mains then it's just one piece of the puzzle and is just added expense and circuitry.

If you are hooking up to mains all you need is a dummy battery and a PSU that puts out 3v. No need to waste all that energy (and money) getting to 12v then converting again to 3v.

Steve House September 8th, 2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Richard (Post 1327638)
I agree, IF, as I said, I wanted to hook it up to another battery system on my camera. But to just hook up to mains then it's just one piece of the puzzle and is just added expense and circuitry.

If you are hooking up to mains all you need is a dummy battery and a PSU that puts out 3v. No need to waste all that energy (and money) getting to 12v then converting again to 3v.

You do have the physical connection to worry about - I, for one, would be reluctant to do any home surgery on an expensive gizmo like a wireless receiver and it looks like the sled of the Senn DC supply just drops into place instead of the batteries. You also need to build a 3 volt regulated supply that is very well filtered to prevent AC noise intruding - not rocket science but still a little more involved than just finding a 3volt wall wart. Considering the overall cost of the 8 units you're buying - around 5 kilobucks - the additional cost of the 3xDC-2s is trivial even at $60 a pop, especially when you factor in labour and potential impacts to your warranty. Just my $0.02 worth ...

Rick Reineke September 8th, 2009 02:41 PM

Why not just buy the non-portable table/rackmount recvr.s and be done with it. If running on A/C is desired.

Kevin Richard September 8th, 2009 09:15 PM

Rick, because sometimes I want camera mount... but not always.

Well, I would say build a faux battery and wire that up to a larger well built supply that could power them all on. And money is still an object.... just because I'm spending 500/unit on these doesn't mean that might be a good chunk of the budget. The wireless mics are just the heart of the system and needing so many is why I'm looking at the G2's.

Rick Reineke September 9th, 2009 01:32 PM

My G2s' will run 10+ hours on a set of rechargeable hybrid batteries. (Longer if I shut them down for lunch)
The cheap and easy option IMO.

John Willett September 9th, 2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Richard (Post 1329806)
The wireless mics are just the heart of the system and needing so many is why I'm looking at the G2's.

I would look at the G3 - the camera receivers are now diversity.