Record voice etc. afterwards (program?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 27th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Record voice etc. afterwards (program?)

hi,

I'm looking for a program to record voice and noises in sync with the already shot short film (what's the correct English word for this?). Best would be if I can play my film simultaneous while recording directly to the time line so I could check immediately after every take if the voice I just recorded is in sync with the picture.

I'm not sure if the Final Cut voice over feature is the right tool for this. What programs do "professional" sound studios use? Are there any good programs for Mac OSX?

I'm very new to audio production. We already recorded everything in a small studio but they had not the right tools so it was very complicated and I'm not satisfied with the result. That's why I want to learn something about audio production and probably try to do it by myself in this case (it's only a 1min short film).

Thanx,

Michael
Michael Althaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 01:56 AM   #2

Final Cut Voiceover is just fine for this. Other options are ProTools LE, Peak Bias.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

What bit depth and sampling rate would you choose? The final clip will be shown in movie theaters. I'm also looking for a hardware device with XLR inputs that I could connect over fire wire with my Mac. Does something like that exist?
PS: Sorry for my bad English....
Old December 29th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #4
Major Player

I use a MOTU 828 soundboard to bring in audio to my mac. There are much cheaper alternatives, especially since you don't need 8 inputs. Lots of companies make these kind of products including the Edirol FA-101 and the M-Audio Firewire 410.

Pro Tools offers a program called DV Toolkit that you might want to check out.

My preference is to do ADR(Additional Dialogue Recording) in an audio program, not in Final Cut Pro or other video editing application.
Old December 31st, 2004, 08:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Dave is right, for your dollar (in English that means it's right up your alley) the DV Tool kit is pretty good.
He's also not pulling your leg (that means he's not joshing you) when he says that doing your recording in a program strictly geared towards audio is a good idea. If you use a non-linear program, like protools, you'll be able to slide your voice tracks around so that, if you are off by a second in your dialog, you won't have to re-record it. You mentioned NOISES, this non-linear program would allow you the ability to collect all the sounds you need and align them to their event times. Rather than trying to make the sound happen at the perfect time 'by hand'.

Please, take these numbers and do not forget them - 16bit...okay? Got that? ... 44,100kHz sampling rate. Yes, Snaif 44 thousand and 100 samples of your audio are being recorded EVERY SECOND!! What a great place to live, right?

Again, that's 16, 44.1. Those are the sampling and bit rates for CD quality audio, which is good enough to please just about anyone who goes to movie theatres.

May the force be with you, Snaif.
Ian Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 08:32 PM   #6
Trustee

It's best to use an audio program. I've been using Cubase and Nuendo by steinberg. Comming from a recording background, I find it useless to try to do audio in the video editing programs ( we use premiere)
good luck.
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 08:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Ian Corey : Dave is right, for your dollar (in English that means it's right up your alley) the DV Tool kit is pretty good.

Please, take these numbers and do not forget them - 16bit...okay? Got that? ... 44,100kHz sampling rate. Yes, Snaif 44 thousand and 100 samples of your audio are being recorded EVERY SECOND!! What a great place to live, right?

Again, that's 16, 44.1. Those are the sampling and bit rates for CD quality audio, which is good enough to please just about anyone who goes to movie theatres.

----Unless, of ocurse, your movie recorded the audio at 48 kHz 16 bit. In which case, you'll want to record your audio at 48 kHz, 16 bit.

Smiles,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I know what bit depth and sampling rate means, I just wanted to know if there's a standard for movie theaters.

Is it possible to play a movie in protools and record directly to the timeline to check right after recording if the voice is in sync with the movie (so I don't have to import the sound file into a video editing program and put it in sync to the movie by hand to check if it's good.).
Old January 4th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #9
Inner Circle

PTLE will playback QT movies on its timeline. You can syn audio to it on another track.

PTLE requires Digidesign hardware. The least expensive is the mBox. PTLE and the mBox list for $499 (I think).

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Looks good to me and the price is ok too. Thanx for all your help....

Regards,

Michael
Michael Althaus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio