AT8415 and K-Tek KSMS Shockmounts question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 28th, 2004, 09:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AT8415 and K-Tek KSMS Shockmounts question

Hi guys. I got a question for anybody that has experience with both of these shock mounts. What I'm facing is if the K-tek K-SMS shockmount with Ultra soft suspenders( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=331126&is=REG ) would have any advantage over my AT8415 with K-tek soft suspenders( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=300643&is=REG )?

I can't see any real reason why the K-tek mount would be any better then the AT8415 with the K-tek suspenders. Does anybody know if the K-tek would provide better stablization than the AT? Would the K-tek still keep microphone noise lower than the AT? The K-Tek is $50 more and I don't want to waste that fifty if it will give me the same performance as the AT hooked up with the K-tek soft suspenders. I using both of these mounts for on-camera right now. Any advice appreciated!
Jake Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:02 AM   #2
Trustee

The SUS suspenders come in only one variety and they'd ne suited towards a heavier mic. The KSSM has the soft mount and the KSM the standard mount. I own an AT 8415 with the AT bands and have never had any problem with them. I qalso own 2 KSSM with the soft mounts and have used them for Schoeps, Oktava and MKH60. I also have a GPS which I use with my MKH60 and softie.

Is there a difference between the AT and K-Tek, the answer is yes but not enough to warrant the price difference (if your strapped for funds.) You do get what you pay for , but the AT is well made and does the job. I've never used the AT with the SUS bands although my K-Tek GPS uses them.
Old December 29th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : The SUS suspenders come in only one variety and they'd ne suited towards a heavier mic. The KSSM has the soft mount and the KSM the standard mount. I own an AT 8415 with the AT bands and have never had any problem with them. I qalso own 2 KSSM with the soft mounts and have used them for Schoeps, Oktava and MKH60. I also have a GPS which I use with my MKH60 and softie.

Is there a difference between the AT and K-Tek, the answer is yes but not enough to warrant the price difference (if your strapped for funds.) You do get what you pay for , but the AT is well made and does the job. I've never used the AT with the SUS bands although my K-Tek GPS uses them. -->>>

So, basically what your saying is that the AT8415 with the K-tek mounts will do the same job as the K-tek KSMS?
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #4
Trustee

The 8415 will do the same job as the KSM. I like the KSM better, but if money is tight tyhe 8415 is a good unit. The KSSM is the lighter unit and can be bought with the softer rubber mount. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a KSMS
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : The 8415 will do the same job as the KSM. I like the KSM better, but if money is tight tyhe 8415 is a good unit. The KSSM is the lighter unit and can be bought with the softer rubber mount. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a KSMS -->>>

Here is the unit I'm talking about.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=331126&is=REG

Though because of it's size if I ever upgraded to a bigger microphone the K-tek shockmount looks like it may cause problems. I think it would be smart to stick with the AT8415 now, since it looks like it comes down to the looks and design preferences between the two shockmounts that seperates them and not the actual performance of the two.
Old December 29th, 2004, 09:56 PM   #6
Trustee

If you're camera mounting only the KSSM comes in a shoe mount for $75. This is a KCAM_SSM B&H has addewd the S at the end of it's model numbers to denote the soft rubber. There is no such designation at k-Tek, it get's confusing.

Camera mount

For camera mounting, this is much better.

The KSM and KSSM are fairly compact, they won't get in the way.

The AT8415 or any of the standard K-Tek's will require a shoe adapter if camera mounted. If that's the case i'd go with the one in the link (KCAM_SSM)

Go to www.mklemme.com for the K-Tek site

Confused yet? I know I am. They make too much stuff but all their stuff is GOOD stuff ;)))
Old December 30th, 2004, 08:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

K-tek vs. Lightwave

K-tek and Lightwave make mic mounts designed to slip into the mic holder on the Sony PD150/170. The mounts seem about the same size and general shape, and are about the same price.
Any experiences/recommendations for one brand over the other?
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #8
Trustee

Lightwave and K-Tek both make excellent units but my vote goes to K-Tek. Manfred Klemme builds the very best and he listens to people in the field. K-Tek also has a very complete range of product. It's a tough one to call, they're both extremely well built.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio