DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Anybody see the new DPA collapse-able blimp? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/37314-anybody-see-new-dpa-collapse-able-blimp.html)

Matt Gettemeier January 5th, 2005 06:26 AM

Anybody see the new DPA collapse-able blimp?

I just got an email from Trew Audio and they're touting the new DPA blimp for perfect use in winds up to 70 mph! The first thing you'll notice about it is that there's NO fur. The same thing that I've said for a while now (and many others) is that what determines the effectiveness of a windscreen is the volume of dead air space. Take a peek at the DPA and you'll understand what I mean... they went BIG on D A S.

The main reason I wanted to post this is because it should give you home-builders some inspiration! Forget a complex blimp and furry "custom sized" for your mic... Just make a large collapse-able football and float your mic in it.

I think the moral of the story is that a blimp almost CAN'T be TOO BIG.

Jacques Mersereau January 5th, 2005 08:04 AM

Maybe the pictures look like there is a huge space, but when I saw the DPA at NAB the rig isn't much bigger than the 'normal' rycote blimp. It does look like
it would do a good job, but the cost is about the same as a full Rycote rig
including windjammer.

I have noticed that when using a Rycote blimp without
the 'dead cat' that a good mic like the MK41 can pick up the sound of wind
coming through the blimp's screen in even moderate conditions.
The DPA screen has a tighter 'weave'
so maybe there is not a problem there. If the DPA does indeed work in
70 MPH winds I would be SHOCKED. The rycote is good to about 20 MPH
at which point sensitive mics begin to have problems.

In any case I would love to hear back from someone who uses the DPA as it
has some cool features.

Ty Ford January 6th, 2005 11:09 PM

Re: Anybody see the new DPA collapse-able blimp?

<<<-- Originally posted by Matt Gettemeier : I just got an email from Trew Audio and they're touting the new DPA blimp for perfect use in winds up to 70 mph! The first thing you'll notice about it is that there's NO fur. The same thing that I've said for a while now (and many others) is that what determines the effectiveness of a windscreen is the volume of dead air space. Take a peek at the DPA and you'll understand what I mean... they went BIG on D A S.

The main reason I wanted to post this is because it should give you home-builders some inspiration! Forget a complex blimp and furry "custom sized" for your mic... Just make a large collapse-able football and float your mic in it.

I think the moral of the story is that a blimp almost CAN'T be TOO BIG. -->>>

The price of the collapsable wind thing made me gasp. $795!!

Ty Ford

Jacques Mersereau January 7th, 2005 11:39 AM

The DPA is just about the same price as the Rycote system . . .
it weighs less and is smaller to transport . . . excellent 'added' features . . .
so what's the problem? ;)

"Pop bottle, rubber bands and clothespin" Mersereau

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 8th, 2005 05:17 PM

All I can say is that thus far, I'm not terribly impressed with DPA. I sent them a mail after NAB (april) and got no response. I sent an email in May, got no response.
Sent a mail in July, wanting to give them a chance to be presented in a fairly large audio event at Columbia Pictures studio in Culver City, no response.
Finally, in December, (9 months after I sent my first mail) I actually got a phone call, asking if I had seen the windsock yet, and no, the windsock isn't shipping yet.
Hmmmm....
Sad to see BK Microphones go to such a low.

Jacques Mersereau January 8th, 2005 09:10 PM

I wonder about that 'not shipping' part. As I reported in another post,
when I tried to use my rycote without the windjammer muff, my MK41
was picking up the sound of the wind passing through the screen . . . which is
plastic. The 70 MPH claim was, is and will be hard for me to believe, but because
it was Morton Stowe (the owner) who was showing it to me at NAB, I didn't
scoff.

Ty Ford January 9th, 2005 07:51 AM

AIR, they showed it for comments at NAB 2004.

I thought it was pricey annd the metal thingees looked a bit flimsy and made me a bit nervous. They looked too much like umbrella parts on umbrellas I have had to retire.

Great idea. A little refinement. No one will miss it if it dips into the shot!

Smiles,

Ty Ford