DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Proper Audio equipment (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/37714-proper-audio-equipment.html)

Joseph Ivey January 13th, 2005 11:54 AM

Proper Audio equipment

I am looking for the proper audio equipment and thought you guys might be some help. I need something to use when I shoot interviews, and short films. I have the on camera mic that came with my Canon XL-2 to catch the ambient sounds if need be, but I am not too clear on what my best option would be otherwise. I have looked at the AT897 - Short Condenser Shotgun Microphone and the Azden SGM-1X - Super-Cardioid Shotgun Condenser Microphone, either I would mount to a boom pole and plug directly into my XL-2 (unless there is a better option that is reasonably cheap). I am also looking for a wireless lav mic for really wide shots that a boom can't get into. I am looking for quality equipment that is reasonably inexpensive.

John Lee January 13th, 2005 03:19 PM

If money is a big issue, you should look at the Sony UWP C1 wireless lav set up. It's pretty cheap for its quality at $500. But I think it is equally important to buy a good boom as well.

I use the UWP C1 all the time when I"m doing interviews, and for long shots when I need sound which would be nearly impossible with a boom. But I also have a shotgun mounted on the XL1S all the time to pick up ambient noise.

Also, if you're looking to shoot films, the wireless option is not going to be as versitile a solution as a good shotgun unless you start buying multiple lavs.

It works great for interviews though.

Ty Ford January 13th, 2005 05:40 PM

Re: Proper Audio equipment

<<<-- Originally posted by Joseph Ivey : I am looking for the proper audio equipment and thought you guys might be some help. I need something to use when I shoot interviews, and short films. I have the on camera mic that came with my Canon XL-2 to catch the ambient sounds if need be, but I am not too clear on what my best option would be otherwise. I have looked at the AT897 - Short Condenser Shotgun Microphone and the Azden SGM-1X - Super-Cardioid Shotgun Condenser Microphone, either I would mount to a boom pole and plug directly into my XL-2 (unless there is a better option that is reasonably cheap). I am also looking for a wireless lav mic for really wide shots that a boom can't get into. I am looking for quality equipment that is reasonably inexpensive. -->>>

Going from a boom mic like the AT897 right into the camera is tons better than camera mounting it. For really good audio, though, you need a mixer with a good limiter. It lets you set higher levels, which gets you higher above the noise floor of your camera's audio section.

AGC and ALC circuits don't do the trick. For the beginner, my "go to" suggestion is the Sound Devices MixPre. www.sounddevices.com

A separate mixer also lets you make volume adjustments during a take without having to bother the camera operator. Is this necessary? Quite often it is!

Nervous about how to interface a mixer with your camera? Don't be.I have part of a chapter of my "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" just about that. See below.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Joseph Ivey January 13th, 2005 07:35 PM

In theory though could I get away with plugging directly into the camera for smaller productions (most would be VO for commercials) until I could afford a MixPre? How much does one cost anyway?

Ty Ford January 13th, 2005 09:06 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Joseph Ivey : In theory though could I get away with plugging directly into the camera for smaller productions (most would be VO for commercials) until I could afford a MixPre? How much does one cost anyway? -->>>

I don't sell em. Google and find out.

Ty