need help for the choice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 13th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #1
New Boot

need help for the choice

I'm very confused about the shotgun mics. I'm planning to buy one for my sony vx-2100 (for indoor and outdoor usage) but there are a lot of choices which are:

Azden SGM-1X (150 usd),
AudioTechnica AT835b (240 usd),
AT897(280 usd)
Beyerdynamic MCE87VS (250 usd)
Sennheiser ME66/K6 Microphone Capsule with K6 (450 usd)

If i didn't get it wrong, the beyerdynamic doesnt need an xlr adapter (like DXA-4), and the me66 doesn't work alone (without k6)?
Is there a huge difference between the sennheiser and others?
Which one should i choose? Please help me...
Thank you
Baris Hanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #2
Trustee

You are correct on your two questions regarding the Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser mics.
Of the mics you've listed, I would pick either the AT897 if you routinely record loud events or the K6/ME66 if you routinely record quiet events.
The VX2100 works best with mics that have a high output signal. The K6/ME66 has a hot output signal but can become overloaded in loud situations. The actual selling price at B&H for this mic is $400.
The AT897 is a new design that's well built and has very good sound quality. If you routinely record quiet situations, especially if the mic will be on the camera and not on a boom pole close to the subjects, then your camera may add noise in trying to boost the signal. However, this mic does come with a minimal foam windscreen, a cheap shockmount and an XLR cable for your $280.
You could put that $120+ difference into better wind protection or a better XLR adapter with added gain like the DXA-8.
If it was my choice, that's what I'd do.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Save yourself $150 and steer clear of the Adzen. This was my first mic and I have since been surprised at the quality of higher end stuff.
Ian Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Ian Corey : Save yourself $150 and steer clear of the Adzen. This was my first mic and I have since been surprised at the quality of higher end stuff. -->>>

Tee hee. :)

You don't want a shotgun for most inside work. You want a hypercardioid.

What sorts of things will you be shooting?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #5
Trustee

Ty,
If you HAD to use an on camera mic indoors, what would you suggest?
I've been using my 897 for in and out. I also have an oktava with the 3 capsules. Can you get good results using the hyper or card capsule on camera?
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #6
Inner Circle

It's a question of how much direct sound versus how much reflected room sound.

Once the mic is that far away (on the camera), the damage is already done and which mic you use doesn't make a lot of difference.

As you may know, feature films and documentaries are shot with mics buried on the on camera people. Boom mics are usually 12-18 inches from the face of the person speaking. The difference between a good hyper can be heard over a shotgun. (for interior shooting)

Bottom line: mics are like golf clubs. You can do nine holes with nothing but a five iron. Putting and driving are a little weird, but you can do it. Same thing with mics. Using the right mic the right way makes all the difference.

I have an extended dialog in my book that replicates a typical conversation between a sound person and a producer concerning which mic to use for just this sort of situation

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio