DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Optical Monitors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/380124-optical-monitors.html)

Andrew Clark September 9th, 2009 08:47 PM

Optical Monitors

Does anybody know of a good set of monitors that have a optical connection / input?

I have a 2009 MacPro and would like to take advantage of this high quality output...but I've (so far) only seen these connections in the computer desk type speakers (Logitech's z5500) and a few low end monitors (Edirol MA-15D's, Behringer MS40's).

I was hoping for maybe something a little more high end...any suggestions? And, yes I have a budget...but I'd just like to see feedback on what's out there for the money.

Alex Donkle September 9th, 2009 09:05 PM

Well, optical connections are generally only found in consumer products in my experience. AES and S/PDIF are the digital standards of pro audio.

Ideally you should likely be looking at an audio interface to give S/PDIF, AES, and/or line-level analog outputs (the last being most common and compatible with pro monitors).

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/compu...io_interfaces/
(Firewire and USB are generally higher quality than PCI-card based interfaces)

Andrew Clark September 9th, 2009 09:29 PM

I have a $700 HP laptop with a S/PDIF output. Does that make it a "pro" laptop? I don't think so....but I could be wrong!!

I don't get why you provided me a link to Sweetwater?? I already have a S/PDIF (In & Out) and Analog Line (In & Out) on my MacPro.

I'm not looking to add components. I'm quite satisfied with what my MacPro has...(so far!!). Just want to utilize what I have in the most efficient way possible.

Alex Donkle September 9th, 2009 10:47 PM

I never said consumer products couldn't be made that used pro connections.

The analog in/out and the optical jacks on the MacPro are designed for consumer use is my point. Hence they work with lower end gear. I got the impression you were looking for high end products, which is why I posted the sweetwater link.

Listen to audio through any computer's built in audio out, and then through a high quality external interface's audio out. Large difference in quality.

Plus the main input on most monitors is line-level (either balanced XLR or TRS 1/4"), which you'll only get out of your MacPro if you're using an audio interface. (plus the line out of the MacPro is -10dBV unbalanced vs. +4dBu line level pro gear is calibrated for so you'll need to turn them up louder than they were meant for.

Don Xaliman September 9th, 2009 11:11 PM

Isn't, one of the advantages of the MacPro optical output, the ability to carry multiple audio channels for discreet surround sound playback?

In that case you might be better to optically connect to a surround capable audio amplifier to break out the stereo channels. This approach would give you more choice in speakers because they wouldn't have to be powered. ... and you could add speakers for surround.... and have a switching matrix so you could plug-in various audio producing objects.

Andrew Clark September 10th, 2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Donkle (Post 1334291)
I never said consumer products couldn't be made that used pro connections.

** Quite true...I never stated that you did so.

Quote:

The analog in/out and the optical jacks on the MacPro are designed for consumer use is my point. Hence they work with lower end gear. I got the impression you were looking for high end products, which is why I posted the sweetwater link.

** I suppose I wasn't quite clear in what I was after. Let me reiterate...I'm curious to see if there are "Monitors" that have an optical input and that are of a higher quality than the monitors I had previously listed. Like I stated in my previous post, I'm happy (currently) with my MacPro connection options. Are they the best? No. Am I looking for the best? No. I'm not and "audio" engineer/guru by any means...as you can probably tell. I'm just looking for suggestions...and yours are definitely worthy...if I wanted to expand and move up...I'll definitely consider those other interface options when the time comes for me to upgrade out of "consumer" land!! By the way, have you any experience with the Apogee Duet or One?

Quote:

Listen to audio through any computer's built in audio out, and then through a high quality external interface's audio out. Large difference in quality.

** Haven't tried it...but I would tend to agree since if I was going to shell out bucks for an external audio interface, it'd better sound better than what's coming off the motherboard!!

Quote:

Plus the main input on most monitors is line-level (either balanced XLR or TRS 1/4"), which you'll only get out of your MacPro if you're using an audio interface. (plus the line out of the MacPro is -10dBV unbalanced vs. +4dBu line level pro gear is calibrated for so you'll need to turn them up louder than they were meant for.

** Thanks for that bit of techy info.; I did not know that...and will make a note of it.

Andrew Clark September 10th, 2009 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Xaliman (Post 1334389)
Isn't, one of the advantages of the MacPro optical output, the ability to carry multiple audio channels for discreet surround sound playback?

In that case you might be better to optically connect to a surround capable audio amplifier to break out the stereo channels. This approach would give you more choice in speakers because they wouldn't have to be powered. ... and you could add speakers for surround.... and have a switching matrix so you could plug-in various audio producing objects.

Do you have a setup like this that you currently use...or could recommend?

The reason I ask, is that I haven't even begun to think about this option...amplifier and passive monitors!!

Mario Vermunt September 10th, 2009 02:01 AM

The way I use the optical output is bij putting a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) between my Mac and the power amplifier. It is nog a cheap solution but really the way to go if you want top quality. An amplifier of speaker with optical input has a DAC built in, but most of the time of much lower quality. I use an Apogee mini DAC.

Frank Brodkorb September 10th, 2009 02:13 AM

I really love those Beringer MS40. They are not as low-tech as the price tag suggests.
Go to a shop and try them - best bang for the buck IMHO.

Frank

Andrew Clark September 11th, 2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Brodkorb (Post 1334728)
I really love those Beringer MS40. They are not as low-tech as the price tag suggests.
Go to a shop and try them - best bang for the buck IMHO.

Frank

Hey Frank -

Do you have a sub hooked up to them? By looking at the specs on their website, those monitors didn't appear to have an option for connecting a sub....but I could be wrong.

AC

Shaun Roemich September 11th, 2009 02:50 PM

And I'm using the Edirol MA15Ds (albeit hooked up analog) in my (video) edit bay as nearfields. When I move my studio, I'll be buying larger and better midfields but the Edirols stay for nearfields.

PS. I do TV commercials and docs using them BUT I don't have any extreme low frequency material - I use mostly field acquired sound and know what I've captured so very little danger of LFE issues.