Mounting MixPre to XL-1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 26th, 2005, 05:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mounting MixPre to XL-1?

Hey Friends, The Beachtek and similar units are meant to mount under the camera with the threaded post, but the Sound Devices MixPre has no such mounting post, and is meant to either sit on a cart, or in a Porta-Brace bag. Do any of you know of a way (short of a big chunk of Velcro) to attach this unit to the XL-1? Thanks, Jim
Jim Morlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #2
Trustee

Search here as well as dv.com, it's been discussed at length in the past. There are brackets and clamps available that will allow this and give you much better support of the camera too. They range from homemade to very expensive.
Some brave souls have also modified their MixPre's.
Personally I carry my MixPre using a padded neoprene camera strap, like for a large 35mm camera. The chassis already has slots for a strap. The model I use has Fastex buckles with matching male/female ends so you can detach the main strap and link the two connections on the mixer to make a hand strap.
There are also elastic yokes that will hold the mixer to your body and belt-pouches too.
You can also use the MA-100 for its bracket, but not for the audio connection (which generally sucks and is not compatible with the standard output of a MixPre anyway). If you don't already have one you could try and hunt down even a broken (audio-wise) one for cheap.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Mounting MixPre to XL-1?

<<<-- Originally posted by Jim Morlino : Hey Friends, The Beachtek and similar units are meant to mount under the camera with the threaded post, but the Sound Devices MixPre has no such mounting post, and is meant to either sit on a cart, or in a Porta-Brace bag. Do any of you know of a way (short of a big chunk of Velcro) to attach this unit to the XL-1? Thanks, Jim -->>>

hang it from your belt by the strap.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Jay,
Thanks. I like the MA-100 bracket idea.
Ty,
Thanks. Yea, that is the easiest solution, especially for run and gun stuff, but I really want this thing to stay with the camera and tripod. I'm a one man band, I do a lot of interviews, and I can't be constantly unplugging to go adjust a light, or move a piece of furniture. I talked to Greg Winter yesterday, and he's going to look into whether or not his box will work on the back end of the XL-1. Thank you all for your help. This pre has been out for a while now, I'm sure there must be a lot of folks using it in similar apps, and it seems like a no-brainer for Sound Devices. Oh well. Thanks again. - Jim
Jim Morlino is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio