NEW Rode Videomic vs. SGM-1X - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 1st, 2005, 09:39 AM   #16
New Boot

Francois,

just curious how you built the XLR to mini cable...are there any links or threads in this forum?

Goh
Goh Iromoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 09:55 AM   #17
Regular Crew

XLR to stereo miniplug

Goh,

Go to the link below on the Hosa site. It shows a schematics on how the cable should be wired.

http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/XVM-100.html

You can buy all the parts separately from an electronics parts store, or you can do like I did. I built mine using an old walkman headphone cable and right angle miniplug and a right angle Neutrik XLR female connector that I bought separately. By using the old walkman cable and miniplug, I only had to solder the other end to the Neutrik connector.

Works great.

Hope this helps,

François
Francois Poitras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 04:02 PM   #18
Major Player

Francois,

Are there any issues with converting a BALANCED XLR signal to an UNBALANCED minijack signal by simply doing a direct wiring between the different connectors?
What about impedance and power matching?

There must be a good reason many people purchase and use audio adapters like BeachTek that cost $150-$300 instead of a simple $15 cable/adapter.

Audio is no better than its weakest link. After buying a quality mic like the AT897, do you really want to risk your audio quality with a cheap connection?

Best Regards,
Pete
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 04:37 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Pete,

I’m no electrical engineer, but from what I have read, there are no issues if the cable is kept short. Some companies like Hosa make these cables, and reputable retailers like B&H sell them. Some microphone makers include such cables with their microphones (Rode with the NT4). All I know is that it works pretty well with my Sennheiser K3U/ME80 (predecessor of the K6/ME66). I might have better results with an audio adapter, but I don’t feel like I am risking my audio quality.

I think the AT897 impedance is the same as my ME80.

Sure, the ideal setup is probably to get an XLR adapter. But, between an Azden and an AT897 with an adapter cable, I would still prefer the AT897.

François
Francois Poitras is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio