Wireless quality issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 4th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless quality issue

I run the XL1-s for weddings. Last year I bought a Trantec RX8 wireless kit with Lavalier mic. It connects via the canon 100a xlr adapter.

The problem I have is that the sound is distorted from the wireless system in the bass end. Overall the soundtrack recorded from it is not useable.

I am thinking of trying the Sennheiser EW112p G2 set up. Am I going to be better off? I have read several threads about the EW112 but does anyone else have previous experience with the Trantec that can compare it to the EW112? Also a few people have mentioned the ENG kit for the EW112. Where can i get this as I am interested in using my SM58 for interviews etc?
Carl Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #2
Trustee

I can't find info on the specific Trantec kit you mentioned.
Have you engaged the mic attenuation switch on the camera?
Many wireless receivers output a signal that's much hotter than regular mic level. Does the receiver have an output control?
In addition, the MA-100 can be overloaded if the output of the receiver is really high. Have you tried another type of interface such as a BeachTek or Studio1 that can handle hotter signals?
Other than the convenience of how the MA-100 mounts to the camera and provides an additional bracket, the better BeachTek models and some from Studio1 are far superior to the Canon.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply.
The Trantec is on sale at www.videoactionpro.com @ £449.00.

Yes I have tried the ATT position but it's still the same. I haven't tried any other interface as I don't have access to any. The Trantec does have a gain on the receiver but this has no effect.

I was wondering if the mic itself could be defective.
Old February 4th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #4
Trustee

Ok, found some more details. According to the specs I read, the receiver does put out a full line-level signal. The gain control is for the headphone output only. Have you tried the Line position of the audio input on the camera?
You must also make sure you have the transmitter input gain set correctly for that mic, how it's placed and how loud the situation is.
If neither of those steps help, then you need to get a balanced attenuator to use between the receiver and the MA-100. If that doesn't help, then the mic capsule could be bad.
The Senn G2 system is a major step above this particular Trantec system.
Old February 4th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks again Jay.

It looks like my best option would probably go for the Sen then?

The trantec when used for interviews was in a quite location, clipped to the tie approx 10 inches away from the mouth. Normal speech still distorts. How would i adjust the transmitter input gain as there is only the one adjustable gain control which you say is for the headphone output.

Although the advert describes headphone output there is no other output other than the XLR lead. Does the headphone connect to that output via some kind of adapter, and if so what would be the point as you would want the output going to the camera?
Old February 4th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #6
Trustee

The transmitter input gain may be internal and you have to slide open the case of the transmitter. Or it might be adjustable through a small opening in the case of the transmitter. Consult the manual or call Trantec. Getting this set correctly is a very important first step.
If the transmitter input gain was set correctly, and you're still getting distortion after trying the Line setting on the camera, then you'll need an attenuator like the AT8202 or a similar unit from Shure. This will bring the output down to an acceptable level if you want to try and use the Trantec.
The output of the Senn G2 is adjustable if I remember correctly, and you'll need to experiment with it too to avoid the same problem.
To access the headphone output requires a cable that makes the proper connections to the receiver jack and ends in both XLR and mini-jack. At least that's the way it's done on my AKG PR-81 receivers that work in a similar manner to yours.
You may also want to get a better XLR adapter like the BeachTek DXA-6, -8, or -10. They will be all around better for many purposes than the MA-100. You can also use a small mixer for these activities, especially if you're operating in a fixed location.
Old February 5th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Jay,

Can't thank you enough. The instructions that were shipped with the system were non existent other than telling you how to insert a battery. I have slipped the cover off the transmitter and found a small screw type adjuster, a small tweak and the sound is now spot on.

You have saved me a few hundred pounds, and I will now be able to use the system with renewed confidence.

Thanks again.

Now all i need is something which will amplify the headphone signal coming out of the XL1-s maybe some pre-amp to make the headphones louder, or are there any headphones which have this built in you are aware of?
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #8
Trustee

You're welcome. There are a number of small headphone amps available. Such as the Boosteroo and the Radio Shack version of the same device. They are around $25 in the States.
There are also more expensive devices such as the Headroom Airhead ($149) and the Total Airhead ($199).
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #9
Trustee

I'm jumping in here late (probably too late) but does that wireless
you have feature +4db audio output? If so, you could try some inline -20db pads
to attenuate the signal.

I tried to use a Sony wireless on my XL1 and found that without padding
the Sony receiver's +4 output that the XL1 *always distorts*. Even if
set for -10 line level it will still distort even if you only barely crack open
the camera's input level.
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #10
Regular Crew

++++ I'm jumping in here late (probably too late) but does that wireless you have feature +4db audio output? If so, you could try some inline -20db pads to attenuate the signal ++++

Thanks for the suggestion Jacques but the problem was solved thanks to Jay.
Carl Walters is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio