DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   audio edit problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/38915-audio-edit-problem.html)

Jay Stevens February 4th, 2005 10:59 PM

audio edit problem

Irritating. I'm using Intervideo WinDvd Creator and I loaded some video that I took using my new shotgun mic. I'm sure when I record to dvd that i'm using mpeg and standard to high quality as recording settings. this is just practice footage on my gl2. When I play it back in windows media player.... audio comes out just fine. When playing in my home dvd player, the audio is missing (except on some shots using the built in mic). What could be the problem. Also frustrating. Thanks for any advice.

Jason

Jack Smith February 4th, 2005 11:19 PM

Are you encoding the audio as pcm or AC3?
Some standalone dvd players don't autoswitch from bitstream
Just a thought
smitty

Jay Stevens February 5th, 2005 12:23 AM

I have this crumby "Intervideo windv creator" software that is not upgraded to the full version. I originally saved the video as high quality instead of standard quality which drops the bit rate drastically. Do you think saving in standard quality will remedy the situation?

Also shot in frame mode in 16:9 aspect ratio.... won't let me save other than 4:3. Go figure. I did buy Adobe Premiere Pro today so I'm waiting for it to be shipped. Can't be anything but better, i hope.

Jay Stevens February 5th, 2005 10:16 AM

Well, it doesn't work in standard play either. Anyone out there!!! Help.~~~!!!

David Ennis February 5th, 2005 12:36 PM

Some consumer sound systems don't handle a mono signal on just the left or right track very well. They have circutry designed to take a mono input from one of the external RCA connectors and apply it to both channels (the user manual tells you whether to use the left or the right RCA connector). But in playing back two track recorded media with a signal on only one track, it seems that the circuitry detects that it is not stereo then chooses the wrong track to apply to both channels--the blank one!

That would fit what you're experiencing; hearing footage shot with the internal mic but not the mono shotgun. If this is the case, the solution is to use an adaptor cable that distributes the shotgun's signal to both channels, and/or copy the signal to both channels in post.

Jay Stevens February 5th, 2005 12:40 PM

Thank you, thank you. When I get a better editing software I hope I will be able to apply the mono sound to both channels. Is there any way I can put the audio onto both channels using my entry level software?

David Ennis February 5th, 2005 12:56 PM

If you have high speed internet access, I'd suggest downloading a 30 day demo of any of the the better packages. They'll all handle your situation. Also, since you responded to my post while I was editing it, you might have missed my comment about an adaptor cable.

Jay Stevens February 5th, 2005 07:45 PM

Fred, you are absolutely correct and on the money. Very helpfull info. I put the dvd in another tv dvd player and it worked. I'm just glad it's nothing broken or defective. I saw an 1/8 mono to 1/8 stereo adapter at Radio Shack but I'm sure I won't need it when I get the Adobe software any day now. Anyhow, there are at least 2 solutions to this problem..... Thanks again,

Jason