DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sony ECM-MS908, the one for me? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/39163-sony-ecm-ms908-one-me.html)

Oskar We February 9th, 2005 02:25 PM

Sony ECM-MS908, the one for me?

So i just bought a NV-GS400 cam and now iīm looking for a mic to use with it.

I want a small microphone that works great when shooting documentarys (you know like following a guy and interviewing him while his walking around in a mall or something)
Iīll be handling all things on my own (no crew) and there fore i want a microphone that i just can attatch to the cam and then know that it will be a good sound. No fuzz!

Iīve been thinking about the Sony ECM-MS908 because it looks like a good mic when shooting documentarys: if iīm shooting an interview while walking i just have to attatch the mic on to the camera and turn it to 90° and if iīm doing an interview with a person thatīs just sitting down i take a longer cable and put the mic right infront of the person. Or is it not that great for these situations?
Perhaps there is a better mic?
(I donīt want a mic thatīs to expensive, $200 the most)

Would be great to hear from you guys that have tried the MS908!

Jack Wheeler February 9th, 2005 04:16 PM

I have the mic and have used it to improve the recording in my PC series Sony cam.

Right from the first playback, there was a dramatic, dramatic difference. I cannot imagine not using an external mic anymore.

For a budget mic, I recommend it. I have a 3m accessory cable and it is fine. You do need to consider that this version does not come with the table stand.

Oskar We February 9th, 2005 04:20 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jack Wheeler : I have the mic and have used it to improve the recording in my PC series Sony cam.

Right from the first playback, there was a dramatic, dramatic difference. I cannot imagine not using an external mic anymore.

For a budget mic, I recommend it. I have a 3m accessory cable and it is fine. You do need to consider that this version does not come with the table stand. -->>>

I already have a mini-table stand so thatīs done.

How is the difference between 90 degrees and 120 degress recording with the mic? Or isnīt there a difference?

Iīm thinking about the situation that i described; if youīre in a mall or something (noisy place) and talking to a person, does the 90-setting work well? (Does it filter sounds from the sides in a good way?!)

Ty Ford February 10th, 2005 06:54 AM

Sorry,

I'm not getting the degree idea. what are yuou turning 90 or 120 degrees?

Ty Ford

James Connors February 10th, 2005 07:47 AM

i have the 908c (camera shoe mount version) as i bought it before i had a camera with XLR input (i constructed a 4.5" long converter that sticks half a mile out tho!) and its a nice little mic. have had some good sounds from it, mainly because i'm shooting very loud music and inbuilt mics on sony's distort to hell straight away.

i used it in conjunction with a shure sm58 the other day, and combined the sound was quite interesting. now if i'm lucky i just use it as a backup to the desk feed (no audience applause etc)

Jack Wheeler February 10th, 2005 11:18 AM

I can't address the degree difference, as I haven't run any comparisons. Although I is clearly audible, the spacial sound and soundstage, when monitoring with headphones.

Glenn Chan February 10th, 2005 08:36 PM

The microphone is M/S stereo design, so the setting I believe changes the direction the side microphones are pointed. It should increase the stereo seperation you get???

If you own the mic, probably run some recording tests on stereo sounds (and sounds from directly in front with background noise). Monitor on speakers (properly placed, with your head and the 2 speakers forming an equilateral triange) and not headphones to get a proper sense of stereo-ness.

From what I remember of hearing this mic (the non-camcorder version), it sounds very good (but my memory can definitely be wrong). It will pick up vibrations from the camera though, depending on your mic mount.