Questions About Sound for Documentary without Sound Person - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Closed Thread

Old February 12th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Ty.

I actually had my credit card out ready to buy your book until I read this. You have an odd confrontational vibe that really comes off as negative. I don't really know you, but to imply I have some "partner" wandering around on here and that we're not professional is offensive. I welcome any scrutiny of the work I do and our history in the music industry. I am smart enough to defer to experts in their areas when I am trying something new. I came here asking for resources and advice from professionals because I (and my entire organization) offer professional advice to anyone who asks on our message boards and this board appears to be a very similiar community in the digital video field. Your first response to me was an email directly to me pitching/selling me your product. That was unsolicited spam, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Then you post this crap. Sorry. You lost a customer for the book you are pitching and frankly, I am not sure I'd trust your advice on anything going forward, no matter what your level of expertise. There are lots of experts on any subject matter. I prefer to work with folks who are a little less abrasive to work with.

I was VERY clear about how we do these tours and what context the tour was in and level of experience we had. If you didn't read what I wrote, that is your fault, not mine. If you were curious about them beyond what I posted, the information on the organization was there openly for you to check out. Based on the context I set up explaining why having a sound person "ride along" wasn't really an option, you posted that there were plenty of audio people who would work on short notice. So I restated the parameters again because I already knew the answer. No one is going to want to work under those parameters, not because of a financial issue as much as the nature of how we travel and do these events.

So, I'll pass on your book and move on to others who offer their advice based on the question without abrasive responses, spam emails selling your product or sarcastic commentary pot shots about our professionalism because you didn't bother to read what I posted before spamming us.

Brian
www.justplainfolks.org
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #17
Regular Crew

David,

Thanks for the link. I really appreciate the fact they acknowledged the glitches upfront. It doesn't sound like it really affects the educational content of the product, but it's good to know that ahead of time so we aren't wondering "what's up with this?"

Thanks again,

Brian
www.justplainfolks.org
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Igancio,

Thanks for the response. What you're saying is very logical and it's partly why I came here. I had questions about basic lighting and based on advice here bought the DVInfo lighting DVD based on the advice of folks here. We're also looking at buying the lighting kits that was also recommended. We're not afraid to spend money on educational tools and once we have the gear, I am not against spending some money on additional professional training/support as well.

It seems these forums exist to help folks learn how to solve problems and get the information needed. Aside from Ty, there's been a lot of friendly info and support and we've acted on most of it so far. It sounds like the Lavalier idea probably makes sense for us, especially as we learn the process, because it is far more easy to control variances in what is happening.

Do you have specific recommendations on wireless lav mic systems to use with a Canon XL2? And is there a specific company that folks on this site endorse to purchase the gear?

Brian
www.justplainfolks.org
Old February 12th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #19
Contributor

I use a Sony UHF lav kit with beltpack style TX and RX. The RX has true diversity and both run on a pair of AA batteries each, for about 8 hours with 2300 mA NiMH batts. The omni capsule is easy to place, but not very small. The casings are plastic which gives a cheapo feel, but they are very resistant and lighter than other kits with metal casings I have used.

There is a comparable Sennheiser kit which I used to rent, the G2. Very similar, allthough the Senn capsule might be a little better, whereas Sony I think has an edge with the radio part of their kit. The Sony kit has NEVER let me down, no noticable interference, ever. Of course in this market UHF is quite unpopulated. Still the Senn kit gave me some extra work a couple of times due to interference.

If you like having parameters to tweak, you will prefer the Senn. The Sony has a much simpler user interface. Also Sennheiser has compatible transmitters than can be connected to a handheld mic, or any XLR mic actually. I have not seen any such product from Sony, and the specs on my kit don't say if it is possible to connect a non-Sony capsule to the TX, although someday I might try it just for fun, for which I will have to make a male XLR to male mini-plug 3 cable.
Old February 12th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #20
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Brian Austin Whitney : Ty.

I actually had my credit card out ready to buy your book until I read this. You have an odd confrontational vibe that really comes off as negative. I don't really know you, but to imply I have some "partner" wandering around on here and that we're not professional is offensive. I welcome any scrutiny of the work I do and our history in the music industry. I am smart enough to defer to experts in their areas when I am trying something new. I came here asking for resources and advice from professionals because I (and my entire organization) offer professional advice to anyone who asks on our message boards and this board appears to be a very similiar community in the digital video field. Your first response to me was an email directly to me pitching/selling me your product. That was unsolicited spam, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Then you post this crap. Sorry. You lost a customer for the book you are pitching and frankly, I am not sure I'd trust your advice on anything going forward, no matter what your level of expertise. There are lots of experts on any subject matter. I prefer to work with folks who are a little less abrasive to work with.

+++"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest", Paul Simon. You asked questions which revealed a lack of understanding of what you needed. After expressing that you wanted a DIY solution, I pointed you to a book I wrote expressly for people like you. +++

I was VERY clear about how we do these tours and what context the tour was in and level of experience we had. If you didn't read what I wrote, that is your fault, not mine. If you were curious about them beyond what I posted, the information on the organization was there openly for you to check out. Based on the context I set up explaining why having a sound person "ride along" wasn't really an option, you posted that there were plenty of audio people who would work on short notice. So I restated the parameters again because I already knew the answer. No one is going to want to work under those parameters, not because of a financial issue as much as the nature of how we travel and do these events.

+++You're just plain wrong. Sound people are professionals. That means they do it for a living. We work long and hard to do the job right. That's something you weren't offering. I doubt you realize how offensive your minimalization of what good sound people know and bring to the table really is.+++

So, I'll pass on your book and move on to others who offer their advice based on the question without abrasive responses, spam emails selling your product or sarcastic commentary pot shots about our professionalism because you didn't bother to read what I posted before spamming us.

+++Have a nice trip. BTW, you're mistaken. There was no sarcasm. Sorry you took it that way.

Smiles,

Ty Ford
Old February 13th, 2005, 12:04 AM   #21

K guys, in the best interests of this thread, since it's gotten to the point that editing it won't allow it to make sense, I'm going to close it. We've got people on both ends of the spectrum, each right in their views, but diametrically opposed in the implementation of those views. No point in beating the horse any longer.
http://www.vasst.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio