DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   1 Sanken CS1 OR AT4073a and AT4053a (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/39526-1-sanken-cs1-at4073a-at4053a.html)

Andrew Oh February 15th, 2005 03:39 AM

1 Sanken CS1 OR AT4073a and AT4053a

Hello,

I've been reading about the great versatility the CS1 exhibits but for about $800, would it be better to get the AT4073a and AT4053a for about $250 more? (For both outdoor and indoor recording).

Of course it would prefer to buy just one in order to save even more money on additional wind muffs, accessories, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ty Ford February 15th, 2005 05:43 AM

Mics are like golf clubs. You can play a round with only a five iron, but putting and driving won't be much fun.

You need more than one type to do the best audio work.

Sometimes you need a hypercardioid, sometimes a shotgun, sometimes a lav, sometimes a pzm, sometimes a handheld.

That's just the way it is.

Many of thse mics use the same wind gear.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Jay Massengill February 15th, 2005 07:35 AM

What are you interested in recording indoors? I ask because there are significant differences between the character of the CS-1 and the 4053a. It isn't really a question of being "better", it's a question of being "different" and each mic being a better solution for a specific task.
The CS-1 does have a lot of versatility, but as Ty said, even a very versatile single mic can't handle everything really well.

Andrew Oh February 15th, 2005 03:40 PM

Golf, now I can relate to that!

I'll be doing mostly interior shots with the mic on a boom. Most of the rooms will have low ceilings and will be a little tight. Mostly for dialogue with some action/fight scenes.

Also, I have an at835b from college. Is it sufficient or should I get the AT4073a? Big difference in quality?

We hope the film will be entered into festivals. Thanks again for the great help guys. It's really appreciated.

Ty Ford February 15th, 2005 04:15 PM

For inside work, you'll want the 4053 hypercardioid instead of a shotgun.

I use a Schoeps cmc641 hyper. It's what the movie sound guys use.

Regards,

Ty

Jay Massengill February 16th, 2005 08:38 AM

There is a huge difference between the AT835b and the AT4073a. For outdoor work I would highly recommend getting the 4073a and the appropriate shock mount and wind protection.
For indoor work that's a much closer call if you're only talking about the 4053a and the CS-1. The CS-1 has greater off-axis rejection of lower frequency sound. My 4053a has very substantial bass pickup, even with the roll-off engaged. This is especially true off-axis, which can be a problem. It will never be accused of sounding thin though, which sometimes can occur with the CS-1.
You'll have to follow Ty's advice and spring the $1300 for the Schoeps if you want to hit it dead on... Otherwise I think you could work easily with the 4053a and just be aware of its frequency characteristics and how to deal with it when shooting and in post. That's the "cost" of saving $850 on the mic.

Matt Gettemeier February 17th, 2005 09:47 AM

If you're committing a mic to ONLY interiors then you can get away with cheap wind-protection for that mic. You should have something for it, but you don't need an expensive system for an indoor mic.

Pretty much everybody who knows me knows that I push the 4073a as the value leader in shotguns. I can't say enough good about that mic for the price. It's just that some of the things that make it such a good outdoor mic hurt it indoors... like HIGH sensitivity for instance. Will the 4073a blow away your 835? More then you can imagine.

Depending on your budget I think you should consider some cheap alternatives for an interior mic... just for now. I've got some pricey mics for interiors and I've also got some cheap ones. You'd be really surprised how effective an Oktava (with a hyper) is for interiors. REALLY surprised.

So that's just a thought for you to kick around... If you spring less then $195 for the Oktava HyperCardioid (SoundRoom) I'd actually bet that you'll never outgrow it. I'd planned to replace my Oktavas after getting better mics, but I still use 'em too much to sell 'em!

Ty Ford February 17th, 2005 11:59 AM

<<<--
So that's just a thought for you to kick around... If you spring less then $195 for the Oktava HyperCardioid (SoundRoom) I'd actually bet that you'll never outgrow it. I'd planned to replace my Oktavas after getting better mics, but I still use 'em too much to sell 'em! -->>>

Until you hear a Schoeps cmc641, at which point you'll say to yourself, "Oh, THAT"S what good audio should sound like."

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS: yes I have compared the Oktava with the Schoeps.