I have a GL1, need a shotgun mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I have a GL1, need a shotgun mic

Hey guys, I need to purchase a shotgun microphone based on my price range (aroudn $100-150). What do you guys think about these mics: ATR55, MKE-300, or the Azden SGM-X . For those of you who own any of these mics, please tell me if they are good or not (pros/cons), thanks.
Matt Lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Don’t know about the AT and the Azden, but I tried the MKE-300. From the samples I heard, the new Rode VideoMic ($149) is superior to the MKE-300.

In this price range, you could also look for an older, used Sennheiser ME80. Not as sensitive as the newer mics, but still pretty good.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:13 PM   #3
Trustee

Save your money and spend the $250 on an Audio technica 897.I bought mine and used it with the gl1. Now I upgraded cameras to the xl2 and still use the 897 as my camera mounted mic.
Youl need an adaptor like the beachtek, and it will give you lots of flexibility.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:18 PM   #4

Amen. The slightly higher cost for the 897 puts you into a whole new bracket. The Rode is a good mic for the sub 200.00 crowd, especially compared to the Azden or the MKE300. Costs a little more, but a mic is an investment, not an expense. Care for it just a little, it will last a lifetime, and always hold a reasonable resale value, not to mention the quality it can bring to your vid if used correctly.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:53 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Re: I have a GL1, need a shotgun mic

<<<-- Originally posted by Matt Lean : Hey guys, I need to purchase a shotgun microphone based on my price range (aroudn $100-150). What do you guys think about these mics: ATR55, MKE-300, or the Azden SGM-X . For those of you who own any of these mics, please tell me if they are good or not (pros/cons), thanks. -->>>

Some folks think they need a shotgun when, in fact, they need a hypercardioid. Matt, what will you be shooting?

Are you restricted to a camera mounted mic or will you be able to boom it.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you all for responding, I will be shooting a horror movie. It involves various shots, mostly close shots, but some are far shots depending on the scene. I was considering the ATR55 because of the price (I can get one with a boom pole for $100) , but now im leaning towards the new Rode VideoMic ($149), what do you think?
Matt Lean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio