DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Can I bypass the auto-audio functions on the hd10u with the beachtek DXA-8 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/40239-can-i-bypass-auto-audio-functions-hd10u-beachtek-dxa-8-a.html)

Dwight Flynn February 27th, 2005 05:26 PM

Can I bypass the auto-audio functions on the hd10u with the beachtek DXA-8

DSE and others familiar with the hd10u. I was wondering if I could regain some manual audio control of this hdv camera by using the beachtek DXA-8 pre-amp adapter to get back functions such as gain and others, or will the all auto audio functions in the camera cancel out the effort? Sorry for the repeat but I placed this thread in the hdv section with no replies, so I am trying it here.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 27th, 2005 05:47 PM

Didn't see this post in the HDV area.
Unfortunately, this doesn't bypass the auto functions of the 10u. I don't believe there is a means of doing this without mod'ing the camera, but I could be wrong. I've not had a 10u in my hands for a long while now.

Dwight Flynn March 1st, 2005 09:34 PM

Ok, I just received the following message from www.preciseaudio.com regarding their mic pre-amp adapter:

your camera work perfect with the unit.I did try in a unit yesterday and works fine.You have in the unit a 3 different level input switch,for any kind of microphone and the gain control for a fine adjustment.
I have units to delivery now.
The price is 360us + 20 us shipping,and if you want the two Canon cables to mix 2 microphones is 25 us each.
If you need all the package please send a check to Precision Audio Products for 430.00us.
If you have any other questions ,please call me to 305-776-0732
ATTN: Luis Pojomovsky

David Ennis March 2nd, 2005 08:01 AM

Luis Pojomovsky is saying that his preamp works fine with your camera and I'm sure it does, but it doesn't seem to me he has stated that the preamp can adjust the camcorder's recording level. Call him and pin him down on that.

Here's the way I see it.

1. Anything you plug into the camcorder only provides an input voltage. The camcorder circuitry takes over completely from there.
2. The preamp adaptor you're cosidering has adjustable gain, so what the camcorder sees as the average level of signal voltage coming in can be adjusted via the preamp's gain.
3. If the camcorder's AGC will respond to a lower average incoming signal by recording at a lower level, then the preamp can give you that control, and that control only. If not, the preamp cannot influence the camcorder's response in any way beyond providing a stronger input signal.

Therefore, if you can't get clear response from this Luis gentleman, try a mic with and without 10 or 20 dB of attenuation and you'll have your answer.