Mic Shock Mounts Selection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 7th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Mic Shock Mounts Selection

I need a shock mount for shotgun mics like the AT897 and for other mics like the AT825 and ATM31a. Primary mount is for camera shoe, and it would be nice if it can also mount on a standard mic stand and boom pole. I would like to keep the price under $75.

I have found the following choices. Any recommendations or suggestions about these choices (other others) would be greatly appreciated.

1. K-Tek KCAMSM Camera Shoemounting Shockmount for Shotgun Microphones -- $75

2. PSC UCSM Mfr# FPSC0035D - Small Universal Camera Mounted Shockmount -- $55

3. Audio-Technica AT8415 Low Profile Universal Shock Mount -- $50

3a. Audio-Technica Mfr# AT84697 Camera Shoe Mount Adapter -- $10

I am leaning towards the AT8415 mount with AT84697 shoe adapter.

TIA.

Pete
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Pete,
I was recently making the same sort of decisions and chose the K-tek KCAMSSM, the short shoe mount for an AT897, to go on my GS400. I should have them today to try out. If you are interested, I'll let you know what I find.

BTW, there are some homebrew mounts/booms that you might also consider:

PVC Mount
Second PVC Mount
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Guy,

Thanks for the homebrew links -- very interesting!

And yes, I'd love to hear about your evaluation of the K-tek KCAMSSM.
Old March 8th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Pete,
Well, I've had a short opportunity to test the AT897 and the KCAMSSM with the Panasonic GS400. A pic and audio are here. As far as I can tell so far (limited time to test), the SSM is good at isolating the mic from camcorder tape transport noise. It doesn't have a 3/8" or 1/4" thread on the shoe mount so it can't be used with a boom pole, tripod or monopod. It holds the AT897 so firmly the mic is difficult to rotate if, for example, you want to position the XLR connector, once the mic is in the mounts. It seems to do the job as well as other elastic suspensions I've used, however, the lack of a pole mount limits its usefulness to shoes only.
Old March 8th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Selected the AT8415 Shock Mount

Interesting test Guy. I never would have thought of using ice and soda for a sound test. :-)

I needed a shock mount for this weekend, so I had to go ahead and make a choice before I saw your post. I went with the AT8415 with shoe adapter. The B&H salesman said it was a really good mount, and since it will mount to both the camera and a std mic stand/boom, it seemed a good choice.

When I get I'll give your I&S test a go with my two ATs.
Old March 8th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #6
Trustee

The camera (shoe) mounted K-teks are made without the usual articulating "knee joint" and they're also around $25 cheaprer than the standard model.

what is important is whether the suspension is the standard or soft type. I use the KSSM with the soft suspension with Oktava, Schoeps MK41 and even the MKH60. It's a damn fine all round shock mount.

If you get the full blown KSM or KSSM you can always buy an adapter to be used as a shoe mount. First and formost it is a boom mount.

i tried the K-Tek KSSM agains the K- Tek GPS, AT 8045 and the Rycote. The K-Tek KSSM was the winner by a long shot.

Do a search. Matt Gettemeier has posted a few comments on the various K-Teks.

These fine mounts are made in LA by a German Canadian living in the US.

www.mklemme.com

Re the ice and soda test is not valid without a fine single malt scotch. Matt G and I have done extensive research on this and found that cheap rye whisky and bourbon just don't cut it.

Pretty well all of my tests of some very premium mics were done with K-Tek shock mounts. shotgun Shootout
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Bryan,
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. You and Matt were my inspiration! After a few ounces of Laphroaig, almost any mic sounds mellow.
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #8
Trustee

Pete, B&H sells the stock version of the AT8415 and a version equipped with the K-Tek deluxe bands.
If you got the stock version, you'll need to criss-cross the horizontal bands when inserting a shotgun mic to build up adequate support.
The K-Tek bands are reported to be very good and worth the extra $15. I've never had any problems with long-term use of the stock bands, but there is debate over whether AT changed the stock bands at some point and they don't last as long as my older ones.
At any rate, I do feel the AT8415 is an excellent choice for the money because it is very light weight, is easily adjustable and can be adapted to almost any situation.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #9
Major Player

Beas is right on all counts!

Hey for the benefit of anybody reading this you'd be NUTS to not get the K-Tek KSSM at $109 (Trew) and add the shoe-mount adapter for about $10... and specify SOFT bands as Beas said.

This will get you the best pole mount, the best on-cam mount, and the best articulating mount... for the lowest possible cost.

With EVERYTHING for AV you'll notice that it's VERSATILITY that makes our tools valuable... the KSSM fits that bill with all the angles and applications possible for such a simple little thing.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #10
Major Player

I have to go with Matt and Beas on this one as well. I sold my Lightwave minimount and bought the K-Tek from Trew. I told them that i would also like to cam mount the mount and they hooked me up with the shoe adapter parts as well. Works great with my AKG CK93.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio