Brief report from BH VASST event at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 9th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Brief report from BH VASST event

Hi gang, I just thought I would drop a line to tell you all a bit about my experience with the BH sponsored VASST sound edit and design event at the New Yorker Hotel. As a disclaimer I have to first admit that I was lucky enough to be among the winners of one of several prizes from a random raffle held at the event. That being said, on the real, the event was well worth the money (even if it was at $250, which thanks to the folks at BH it was not). DSE was dead on with his explanations. He covered everything from the design of your home or work studio, to field equipment and techniques, to post editing (from sony to waves to izotope’ ozone, etc.) He covered a range of mics and explained their various uses and optimal application (he had his favorites of course, which to his credit was not an endorsement as much as a recommendation from someone who has been in the field doing the work). The event was all day long, but there wasn’t a dull moment. Maybe it’s because I am new to some of the things he was explaining, but frankly it never hurts to know how a renowned, skillful musician edits his own work and the work of other very demanding and talented people. The only criticism I can make isn’t even a bad thing in that it was probably a function of a lack of time. It would have been nice if he had recommended a few good books for further reference (I wont say study as I believe that you study in the field (though on your own dime not your customers)). Either way, maybe he can add it as a hand out sheet in the future. Hey Spot, very well done. And BH…Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #2
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Thanks for posting this. It was an honor and a pleasure to sponsor Spot's seminar in NYC and we're really glad you enjoyed it. We look forward to more co-produced events.
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Audio is one of the areas I need a lot of help in. I hope there will be more.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #4

We might take the "newer" version of Now Hear This on the road again later this summer. We wanted to kick off the 05' tour season with B&H though, these guys are truly interested in supporting their customers at all levels, before the sale, during the sale, after the sale, and they are the first big company I'm aware of, that has taken an active role in providing training at all levels. The main reason we've not done this with a reseller sponsorship before is that resellers have always wanted to tell us what we can and can't show or say. B&H didn't provide any constraints of any kind, and the only discussion about what we'd be showing was when the folks at B&H asked what software and hardware we'd be bringing with us. They wanted to put special pricing on those software and hardware items for attendees, and the prices they generated for those items were awesome. The audio team was a tremendous support for the event; Marty, Henry, Ray, Kendall, and the rest of the crew really busted butt to help bring this together.

We hope to do more of these at B&H, and have already proposed a couple more seminars to them. We're always interested in hearing feedback from attendees, and also hearing any educational suggestions community members might have.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #5

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : B&H didn't provide any constraints of any kind -->>>

Well, we were obliged to insist that the breakfast repast was kosher. :-)
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:03 PM   #6
Major Player

Stupid question (maybe). Are you guys going to do the same thing with video anytime soon (if ever)?
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #7

I can't speak for B&H, but this is what VASST is all about...these sorts of training opportunities. We tour around the world, and will be announcing dates/locations of our 2005 tour at NAB 2005.
If you're a user of the VASST resources, you're already on our mailing list. DVInfo.net is a sponsor of many VASST events as well, so watch the site for banner ads. Chris is awesome about supporting our events. HDVInfo.net is also a sponsor of the Vegas Users Group event at NAB this year.

Was there a particular video event you'd like to see? Our PPT (Power Production Techniques) is a lot like the audio class, but all video related.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #8
Major Player

Spot, the things I am currently looking for would probably not be so much a how to class, but more so a process and work flow class. The PPT sound like it might do the trick. Let's face it, learning how to cut is a matter of getting your hands dirty by doing (and asking questions, even dumb ones, when you get stuck).
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #9

<<<-- Originally posted by Dwight Flynn : Stupid question (maybe). Are you guys going to do the same thing with video anytime soon (if ever)? -->>>

We'd love to. Soon as we can identify a sponsor who's willing to do as much for video as Doug's team did.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio