AT897 Power at

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 10th, 2005, 03:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew
AT897 Power

I am considering taking the plunge and buying myself a AT897 mic. However I read something on another forum that got me wondering. They eluded too, but not tested, that when the 897 is powered by battery @ 1.5V you will get a different response compared to using phantom power?

Does anyone know anything about this?

Also like many people I have been trying to make the decision should I go a 897 or the new rode videomic. I will basically be using it for in-doors / out-doors, on camera, and as a boom-mic and will be recording on to mini-disc. And I want something that I can grow with as I become more experienced.

I looked at the various pro's and cons, and I think 897 is the one. You think I am making the right choice? or should I be considering something else completely different?

Thanks in advance

Robert Double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:48 AM   #2
Major Player
Hi Robert

The AT987 is indeed a very nice mic for the money... I am very happy with mine.

I usually just stick a battery in it and forget about it...

I have a small Audio Mixer Preamp that offers Phantom power..
Now there may be a difference on paper and other more knowledgable than I will disagree.. but I can hear no practical difference with either set up.. Both work fine..

The general opinion seems to be you'll go a long way to find a better mic for the money..

Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #3
I agree with Gareth that you're probably not going to hear a difference between phantom and battery powering. But there is a difference in dynamic range and max SPL:

You can pay a lot more and get a better mic, but it is a fine mic for the money. I'm really happy with it and have no thoughts at all right now of upgrading.
Pete Bauer
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. Albert Einstein
Trying to solve a DV mystery? You may find the answer behind the SEARCH function ... or be able to join a discussion already in progress!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio