Mic Suggestions ? AT897 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 11th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mic Suggestions ? AT897

Hi,

I was wondering if I could call on the expertise of this group to suggest a microphone for my needs. This basically my requirements :

1. Budget just for microphone $300
2. I want to use the microphone for indoors / outdoors, on boom and on camera
3. I also want to use it for a voice-overs

This is the first mic I will own, and as you can see I want to use it to cover a variety of activities. I also want to buy the mic, with the intention of keeping it, and then adding extra mic's to my arsenal as I become more proficient. So ideally I want this mic to be a good all-rounder, but not necessarily excellent in every area.

My initial thoughts was the AT897, however reading a few people's post's they don't recommend it for in-doors use and you should use a hypercardiod. I am sure that a hypercardiod is better for indoors, but is it significant enough since I am starting out?

What are peoples thoughts, suggestions?

Cheers

Robert
Robert Double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

As far as I was aware having owned one of these for about a year (and just ordered another) it is a hyper cardiod pick up.

It's worked fine in all the situations I've used it in - and should be suitable for those you list.

Jon
Jonathan Nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #3

There are hypercardiods and there are shotguns which are hyper cardiods that operate somewhat differently than other mics.
No shotgun is great indoors. The 897 is a decent indoor mic, but it's still a shotgun. The 4053 is a better indoor choice, IMO. But it's also more expensive.
The 897 is a great V/O mic, acceptable indoor mic depending on the room and it's reflections and tone, and awesome for run n' gun work. For it's price category, I'm obviously a believer in it being the best in it's class for quality of sound and versatility. There are higher output mics out there, but they sacrifice quality for output.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm a big fan of the AT897; it's very versatile and grabs a lot of sound. In terms of bang for the buck, it's an excellent buy.

However, I'm not a huge fan of it for recording indoor dialogue. It just picks up too much reverb and sounds too hollow, and I learned that the hard way. I'm having a hell of a time trying to massage some audio in post to make it sound less hollow and get a richer tone out of it, and it's not going well at all.
Tim Brechlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 03:47 AM   #5
Trustee

Waht would tou guys reccomend for indoor if it had to be on camera? I am very happy with my 897, but have also noticed the room sound problems discussed here.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #6

<<<-- Originally posted by Tim Brechlin :
However, I'm not a huge fan of it for recording indoor dialogue. It just picks up too much reverb and sounds too hollow, and I learned that the hard way. -->>>

This is not an 897 problem, it's a shotgun mic being used indoors problem.
This is why I recommend the 4053 for this kind of work.
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for there opinions.

It seems that people have experienced problems using the 897 indoors, primarily because it is a shotgun mic. However, that raise a couple more questions for me :

1. Would the problems of using the 897 indoors for myself be really noticable ie. I get the feeling people on here are pretty advanced, so imperfections are immediately highlighted for themselves. With myself being a beginner, I wonder how long it would take, or whether it would be immediately noticable.

2. Interested in the other mic Doughlas recommended, the 4053. But his right, it is expensive, $499.00. Are there are any alternatives that would fit in my budget of $300, and also meet my original criteria? Or is the 897 still best for what I am looking for?

Cheers

Robert
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The AT 897 is an excellent mic. I recommend it heartily.

For recording indoors, it depends on what you're trying to do. Quite simply, using a shotgun indoors is generally a bad idea. If you're recording speech, the EV 635A is an excellent indoors omnidirectional microphone that only costs $100.

No microphone is a one-size-fits-all device. It'd be nice if there were such a beast...but then again, it'd probably cost six thousand bucks.
Tim Brechlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #9
Major Player

Check out the RODE NT3. It is a studio mic but can be mounted on a cam with the right shock mount. It has great audio and is priced under $200.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Guy. I checked out the Rode NT3 at a local store, and it's pretty good. It's hard to tell how good it really is until used on your own sets / locations and equipment. But the NT3 does seem to offer good indoors, and pretty good outdoor as well.

But also the assistant opened my eyes to a newer mic by Rode. The Rode NTG-2. Now this looks like what I am looking for. It seems to be a good alrounder, and a direct competitor with the AT897.

I haven't bought it yet as I wanted to get some feeling from others about the NTG-2? How have people found this mic?

So far I haven't found much info about it because it is so new! I have found some specs for it at http://www.musiclab.com.au/assets/cat_images/rode/ntg2.pdf
Old March 14th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #11
Major Player

The NTG-2 is so new that I'd be surprised if anyone has one yet. However, it is pretty similar to the Videomic...same condenser element, same barrel, same polar pattern and frequency response (at least from RODE's literature). There are probably some differences in electronics and it uses a 1.5V battery instead of the 9V in the Videomic. It also has a metal barrel and XLR connector and weighs less.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #12

I've got an NGT 2 now, and am testing with it. Not bad on first listen. But it's still a shotgun, and still not for indoor use. If the 4053 is too costly, the NT3 is a good option, but remember that you get what you pay for.
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Can anyone tell me the difference between the AT4053 mentioned here and the AT4051a?

I can't seem to find any (reputable) dealer that sells the AT4053, but B&H has the AT4051a for about the same price... is it a similar mic?
Old March 17th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #14
Trustee

The 4051a is a cardioid, the 4049a is an omni, and the 4053a is a hypercardioid. They are all essentially the same mic with a different pickup pattern in the capsule. The capsules are also interchangeable. For some reason AT names their entire mic according to the head it comes with and makes minimal mention of the interchangeable nature of the heads.
B&H does sell the 4053a head for $197. The 4051a entire mic is $400.
Generally the hypercardioid pattern is preferred for interior recording where more directional control is needed versus a cardioid.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #15
Regular Crew

It sounds like the 4053a is what I'm looking for then... especially if I can later add additional capsules to the mic. I will be needing a good camera-mounted mic (on a GL2) for indoor recording.

Would you recommend the 4053a for an indoor camera mounted mic? I'd be using it mainly for wedding receptions but for other events as well.

$200 for this mic, assuming it's what I need, is not a bad price. Is $200 for the entire mic with the hypercardioid capsule, or just for the capsule only?

I can't find it anywhere on B&H. are you sure they stock this particular mic? Or do I have to order it over the phone?

If I'm just overlooking it, could you send me to its product page at B&H where I can order it?

thanks for the info
Chris

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio