Expensive Schoeps Mic on Cheap Boom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 27th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Expensive Schoeps Mic on Cheap Boom

Okay, after much research the Schoeps cmc641 is clearly the mic for my purposes (indoor dialog shot in difficult, reverberant space).

The thing is top of my budget, and cuts into what I was going to spend for a quality boom pole/shock mount.

Can someone recommend a very inexpensive solution that won't add handling noise or drive my boom op to drink?

I was looking at this ProAM stuff because the price is right, but, er, $97!? What's wrong with this picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3319&item=7503358458&rd=1
Steven Schuldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #2
Major Player

To me that looks like an arm off a boom stand and they just removed the legs.Probably is heavy and doesnt look very comfy to hold.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:19 PM   #3
Major Player

For under $250 you could get a Gitzo 7680c and that would give you 12.5' of carbon fiber luxury... but no cabling.

For about $225 you could get a 9' K-Tek Aluminum Avalon WITH internal coiled cable (which is VERY nice... trust me)

Either of these choices would get my vote for a cheap boom pole that is anything but cheap on construction and functionality.

Don't put a $1400 mic on a $100 ebay junk-stick.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #4
Trustee

Get a k-Tek shock mount (KSSM with soft support). A Rycote baby Ball gag would be nice as well.

Don't be using cr@p on yout Schoeps or I'll sick Ty Ford or Matt on ya ;)
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : Get a k-Tek shock mount (KSSM with soft support). A Rycote baby Ball gag would be nice as well.

Don't be using cr@p on yout Schoeps or I'll sick Ty Ford or Matt on ya ;) -->>>

Whew. This is some confusing sh*t! Okay, I'm at the point where I'm trying to find a good shockmount that will do double-duty on a K-Tek boom for both the Schoeps cmc641 and an AT4073a.

I'm about ready to go with an AT8415 with the K-SUS suspension, but I need some education as to what softie/fuzzy/windshield/windjammer/blimp widget is the right companion for that shockmount. That K-tek shockmount (K-SSM) you suggest looks nifty but appears designed for the Sanken CS-1? Not sure that thing will work well with both my mics.

I'll probably only use the fuzzy with the 4073a - as the Schoeps is strictly for indoor use and I'm pretty confident the basic pop blast filter will be adequate in that case.

Any ideas welcome before I buy the wrong thing! :O
Steven Schuldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:54 AM   #6
Trustee

I own an AT8415, two KSSM's and a K-Tek GPS. The very best is the KSSM. You could even go KSM. I've used my MKH60 in the KSSM and it worked. The softie makes it a tad front heavy, but stretching the bands in opposite directions fgave it the needed support.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio