ma-300 vs beachtek at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 30th, 2005, 12:49 AM   #1
Major Player

ma-300 vs beachtek

i'm gonna need an xlr adapter for my new gl2 and after some poking around i have found that people recommend the beachtek dxa-4p for the gl2 over the ma-300. why is this, what's wrong with the ma-300? i know from b&h the ma-300 is $164usd while the beachtek is $169usd, however i've got a local dealer that will sell me a brand new ma-300 for $139usd. so why opt for the more expensive beachtek over the ma-300 both provide xlr inputs so what could be the difference other than the shape of the adapters? a quick decision would be greatly appreciated.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #2
Trustee

The BeachTek can accept mic-level or line-level signals. It can also double a single input to both channels, mix two signals to both channels, or keep both inputs separated. The MA300 can only keep both inputs separated.
The BeachTek is a more secure physical connection with the camera.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #3
Fred Retread

In addition, the BeachTek has trim controls for each channel to reduce the incoming signal if necessary.
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

...yeah, BUT! MA 300 with shotgun mike looks sooo good... I went that way and regreted first time being surrounded with people, praying that noone will kick-off that expensive piece of plastic. Also, no 48V, no line input...sorry, but Beachtek option is great and works like a charm.
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:28 AM   #5
New Boot

I don't own the MA300 but my vote goes to BeachTek, which I plan to buy if I can find a local distributor; or else I'll have to mail order it. The MA300 accepts only UNbalanced input, contrary to what the XLR jacks may suggest.

Mariano
Mariano L. Honrado Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

OT: kababayan! mariano

This is a nice thread, i was about to buy an MA-300, but then, I would rather go for beachtek dxa-4p, am using a gl2. I presume this is a good choice right? i mean extending more like $5 to get a beachtekdxa-4p?
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Sorry double post...

I forgot to ask, if i will be using a dxa-4p for my gl2, how am i suppose to mount it on the cam...any adapter for that or shall use a different stand for the mic? thanks again guys!

one mreo question...i noticed that dxa4p is mounted at the bottom of the cam, will i be able to put the cam on a tripod even if the dxa4p is attached to the cam?
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #8
Fred Retread

Yes BeachTeks are designed to be mounted to the bottom of the cam, then they, in turn, have mounting holes on the other side to mount to the tripod.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio