DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   One Last Question!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/42090-one-last-question.html)

John Merizalde March 30th, 2005 05:50 PM

One Last Question!!

I was just wondering if anybody knows if the Beachtek DXA-2 XLR adapter works with the Sony DCR HC-40 Minidv camcorder. It says it works with almost all small minidv camcorders, but I just wanted to make sure. Also, the Audio Technica 835b shotgun mic works with the DXA-2 also, right? Quick answers would be great!

Spike Spiegel March 30th, 2005 07:56 PM

any xlr shotgun should work with the DX series, thats for sure. As long as you got xlr you're fine. Not sure if the beachtek dxa 2 mounts the minidv, but most likely it should. No reason for it not to, but then again, i could be wrong. But since that model is made for smaller minidvs, you should be fine......

David Ennis March 31st, 2005 10:44 AM

Yes, the DXA-2 will work with your camera. The top side of the DXA-2 has a threaded stud to mount to the tripod mounting hole on the bottom of your camera. The bottom side has its own threaded hole to mount to a tripod. It has a 1/8" stereo mini ouput plug to plug into your camera's mic jack.

NO, the AT835b will not work with the DXA-2. It requires phantom power, which can be supplied by the DXA-6 and DXA-8 but not the DXA-2. You should consider the AT897, an outstanding mic for the money ($280), and it can run on AA battery power or phantom.

[EDIT] oops, I stand corrected...the AT835b does have a battery option...I misread the AT web page.

Jay Massengill March 31st, 2005 11:51 AM

The AT835b will also run on an internal AA battery, so the DXA-2 should be fine.

John Merizalde March 31st, 2005 04:18 PM

Ok

Ok, so can someone who knows it for sure, please answer my question:
Which of the following works with the Beachtek DXA 2:
AT897 or AT835b?

Jay Massengill March 31st, 2005 05:39 PM

Both of those mics will work with the DXA-2.
The AT897 is a newer model with a better signal to noise ratio and a shorter physical length. That would be my choice.

Gregory Doi March 31st, 2005 08:01 PM

I just bought an AT 897 and its great I actually like it better then my ME66.

John Merizalde March 31st, 2005 08:08 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Gregory Doi : I just bought an AT 897 and its great I actually like it better then my ME66. -->>>

So, it is actually better quality than the Sennheiser!? No way! That ME66 is ultra expensive compared to the AT 897!

Gregory Doi April 1st, 2005 02:48 AM

Price aint everything. And experience with equipment also makes a world of difference on sound quality. Ive used both ,dont get me wrong, but for different applications.

Also because the ME66 is "ultra expensive" I would expect more.

Jay Massengill April 1st, 2005 10:27 AM

Both mics have strong points, that tend to be in opposite directions from each other, so the situation they are used in and the specific equipment they are hooked to are very important in getting good results with one over the other.
The AT897 performs well over it's actual cost and that's partly misleading to a lot of people. There are other factors besides sound quality that adds to the cost of the K6/ME66. That can be misleading in the other direction.