Can the mic handle this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 1st, 2005, 11:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can the mic handle this?

OK, shooting an event I was tasked with interviews and cutaways. I put my ME-66 on the cam and did the interviews just fine. While shooting cutaways, I went to catch the band. The MIC clipped out constantly even with the mixer and cam levels cranked way down.

I assume I was somehow overloading the mic. Is there any way to control this or is it simply a matter of switching mics. I do have lots of attenuators around but would that help?

Thanks

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:32 AM   #2
Trustee

There are two factors at work here. First, the ME66 has a very hot output and can overload sensitive mic inputs as the volume increases.
Second, the mic itself can overload in really loud situations, especially if the mic is surrounded by sound or reverb.
Add attenuation between the mic and the mic input. If this helps then it's the first case. If it doesn't help, add some more attenuation. If it's still clipping, then the mic itself is probably overloading and you have to either move further away or switch mics.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

As I suspected. Thanks very much for your reply. I am certain it was too loud for that mic (concert).

M
Mike Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio