GL 1 and soundsetup - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 7th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #16
New Boot

Thanks

I have seen that before. It shows the connectors... yes, but not the optimal way to wire it all up with a mic to the camera.
Mike Grohowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #17
Major Player

The Way I Do It....

I have the same mixer that you do, and also a GL1, the only thing different in my setup is that I have a Studio One XLR adapter rather than the Beachtek. So here's how I set up mine:

My XLR microphones (Shotguns, etc) plug into the Behringer Mixer via their XLR cables. The Behringer mixer has two 1/4inch plugins on the TOP RIGHT corner that say MAIN OUT, L and R. I have a balanced pair of cables that have 1/4inch plugs on one end and XLR's on the other end. I plug one in the L and one in the R on the MAIN OUT and run those to the Studio One adapter, one into the adapter's LEFT and one into the adapter's RIGHT. Then the adapter plugs into the GL1 with its miniplug. I end up with no noise that I can hear (no hum, no buzzing).

The balanced pair of 1/4 to XLR cables, I ordered from a guy over the internet, and by balanced, I mean that the cables were tested and have the same signal (impedance, resistance, or something, I'm not an expert in that field). That apparently all but eliminates problems with noise.

Jeremiah
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #18
New Boot

Would this be right

Here is the link to some cables. Is this what you are talking about:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=230876&is=REG

And I plug one of these the MAIN L of the Mixer and the other to the Beachtek and do the same thing with a 2nd cable for MAIN R of the mixer to the Beachtek?

Here is another Kind:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=227825&is=REG

thanks
Mike Grohowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #19
Major Player

Those look like the cables that I have, and yes, one each into the L & R MAIN OUTS on your mixer, onto the XLR plugs on your Beachtek.

I really don't understand why they distinguish between stereo and mono. My instinct (and maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong) is that mono should be better in this case, because you're only sending one channel through each cable.

I suggest you try to find someone who does custom cables. I've looked around my house for the last hour and I can't find the business card of the person I bought my balanced pair from. He was cheaper than any of the online stores (and used the best components too).

I know the box is floating around too. The guy was based on New York and he set up an item on ebay and did the transaction that way. Just can't find the guy's name.

Jeremiah
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #20
Trustee

Those are the type of cable I talked about for connecting between a mixer and an XLR adapter.
They call them "stereo" because more people are aware that the 1/4-inch plug will have 3 conductors. Most people don't know the term "TRS" to mean tip, ring, sleeve.
In this case, while the 1/4-inch end does have a "stereo" connector, the cable doesn't carry a stereo signal. It carries a balanced mono signal. That's why it takes two cables to send Left and Right from the mixer to the BeachTek.
The balanced cables and the balanced circuits in the mixer and BeachTek help eliminate electrical noise and interference that can be picked up in the cable from sources like motors or light dimmers.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #21
Major Player

I found the guy I bought the cables from, he's no longer making custom cables.

FYI, he used Canare cables with Neutrik connectors. I have the balanced pair 25 feet. If you look on Ebay there are a lot of cable dealers, just don't get crappy materials and you should be fine.

Thanks for the info Jay on the mono/stereo issue. I always wondered about that.

So Mike, just make sure to get the balanced pair, and you should be okay. And make sure that the XLR-ends are the ones you need to plug into your Beachtek.

Jeremiah
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio