student needs a good all round mic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 14th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #16
Trustee

It sounds like you had a good plan in place at a fair price.
As Glenn said, it could have been rejected for any number of reasons that may have had nothing to do with you.
When I first started in this work nearly 20 years ago, doing projects for people who where in their 40's and 50's, it was very hard to overcome the ingrained idea that beautiful TV programming spews out of a magic box for FREE. For most of their life experience that was true for the end user. Once it became possible to produce video on a corporate level at moderately sized companies, they had a hard time conceiving that there were actually costs involved for personnel, equipment, materials and time to create the projects they wanted.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Dear Keith,

I highly recommend the BeachTek DXA-8.

About a month ago, I bought one for a movie we are shooting.

BeachTek says that they use very low noise preamplifiers in their DXA-8. This is true and the difference is dramatic - if your camera has noisy preamplifiers. I tested this with an XL1s. There is lots of noise (hiss) in the XL1s sound, if you need to turn up the preamplifiers to obtain the proper levels.

However, if you use the BeachTek DXA-8 properly, there is no noise. By properly, I mean that you set the gain on the camera, such as the Canon XL1s to a low level (unity gain) and then use the gain control on the BeachTek.

I have not tested the preamplifiers on the GL2, but I assume that they are similar to the Xl1s in terms of noise level.

They other advantage is that the DXA-8 has limiters. This is a very worthwhile feature in that it ensures that you will have usable audio, if your audio peaks would otherwise be too high.

I realize that the DXA-8 is more expensive, but it is really worth it.

The sound that we recorded for our movie after we bought this is much better, using the same microphones and the under the same conditions. I would not go on a shoot without it.

Another soundman on the shoot was also very impressed with the difference.

BeachTek DXA-8 important features are:

Very low noise preamplifiers.
Phantom Power, individually switchable for each channel.
Effective limiters, switchable for each channel.
Stereo / Mono Switch
Ground Switch to eliminate ground problems with certain devices.

The drawbacks are:

High Price
Limited Battery Life, if you use phantom power (carry extra 9volt batteries).

I wish this was powered from the camera, or used AA batteries.

If you start the hear distortion or poping in your headphones, immediatly change the 9 volt battery.

Chaning the battery is very easy, even while the unit is mounted on the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio