Audio Suggestions requested at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 7th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio Suggestions requested

Greetings,

I'll keep this short and sweet..

Equipment:
Sony PD-150
Shure Lap mic
Mackie DFX-12 Mixer
XLR Connectors
Sony OEM Mini Shotty mic

Upgrades:
I am looking to better the audio side of my recordings. This is for a corporate environment, where they may be pre-staged interviews or recording people in the general work area. Indoors and outdoors.

I am looking for a audio solution that would generally cover all aspects of that without losing too much quality. I am looking at the Audio Tech shotgun mics, but not really sure what would be the ideal setup?

Thanks for your time,

Patrick
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #2
Trustee

For prestaged, sit down interviews, a pair of wired lav mics and a hypercardioid boom mic as backup are a typical first line of attack.
The AT899 lavs have excellent sound, are small in size and come with a variety of clips and windscreens. $200 each for the XLR version.
There are four hypercardioid mics that work well in these situations that don't cost huge amounts of money. They are the Rode NT3, the Oktava Mk012, the AT873r and the AT4053a. Search the threads here for many discussions on their pro's and con's.
For situations where a shotgun mic is appropriate, the AT4073a has a hot output that works well with the PD-150's mic preamps.
If you're using your Mackie mixer between the mic and camera, then the less sensitive (and less costly) AT897 will work.
There are a wide variety of handheld interview dynamic mics available from $80 to $250.
Reasonably good wireless sets run from $450 up to $3000 for very good systems.
Other accessories such as boompole, wind protection, shockmounts and good headphones are also necessities and will increase the cost but are well worth the investment for quality of sound.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks very much for the reply..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio