Need help picking voice over mic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 20th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #16
Trustee

Last month's Post Magazine had an article on the subject:

http://www.postmagazine.com/post/art...l.jsp?id=87847
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:48 AM   #17
New Boot

I do a fair amount of voice-over recording here, and my feelings echo much of what Glenn Chan suggested. It's more about the talent and the recording space than about the microphone, and for the budget you've got, you should be able to do just fine.

The material on the voice-over reel on my web site was all recorded through the same mic -- a CAD Equitek E-300. You can't buy it new anymore, but you can get 'em used. (There's one on E-bay right now.)

It's a fairly versatile large diaphragm condenser. I've used it on vocals (spoken and signing), acoustic guitar, djembe, trumpet, and a couple of other things. It's a bit bright, though not as transparent-sounding as, say, a Neumann U87 -- but it's been a good friend to the studio here. It's got plenty of switchable options, too. A pad, a LF cut, and switchable omni, cardioid, and figure-8. It requires phantom power. I wouldn't describe it as the 'ultimate' voice-over mic, but until recently, it was the best option we had in the cabinet.

Good luck with your purchase!
Mike Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:45 AM   #18
Major Player

Dave, I called B&H, they do not know what you are talking about (ie AKG 414 for $254). Is there a link you could give, or is there a particular model number or a particular version of the 414 (and must I reference this forum????)
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:04 AM   #19
New Boot

Even the low-end AKG C 414 B-XLS typically goes for about $900. Perhaps Dave was thinking of the AKG C2000B (~$200) or C3000B (~$300)? (Or maybe a used B-ULS?)

The 414 is a nice general purpose mic, but if you're going to spend that much, you might be better served going with Neumann BCM 104 (~$825).
Mike Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:34 AM   #20
Trustee

He was talking about the NT1000 for $254.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:31 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Well, it's the voice first, then the mic/preamp.

THE NT2000 and NT2-a are fine for the job. They are much better than the earlier RODES.

The AT2020 at $99 is also quite acceptable. You can see and hear what it sounds like by looking in the quickies folder in my online archives. I have an mp4 file recorded on an XL2 with the at2020.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:19 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Wow Ty.. the sample sounds good. Do you own an AT2020?
Any thoughts about it?
Hsien Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:24 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi H,

Thanks, I do have one here. The issue was a price limit of $400. I don't really know of many mics in the up to $400 range that sound a lot better than the AT2020. I'm not saying they don't exist. There are a lot of mics in that range that sound a lot worse.

I normally use more expensive mics and preamps for my narration work. Schoeps, Sennheiser, Neumann with GML, Aphex or Millennia Media preamps.

Samples of my VO work are on my main page.

Regards,

Ty
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:35 AM   #24
Trustee

I just received the mic and one of the screens was
not even connected to the mic -- it had
fallen off. Has anyone had this, where the
screens fall off?
It was broken away when I first unwrapped it.
It looks like it had been glued.
Any thoughts?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 04:00 AM   #25
Major Player

Dave,

My Rode is built like a tank. I know that you can take them apart, but I have never had the need.

The screen seems to be held in behind the body of the mike. I understand that Rode has very good QC - so I might send it back - as I assume that it has had a belting in the post. See if B&H will send another.

Graeme
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #26
Tourist

I've had my NT1000 for close to a year now and I just love it, of course I'd spring for a Neumann in a heartbeat if I had the cash but the Rode has kept me happy for the most part!
Martin Yap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #27
Trustee

Nt1000

This is a little bit older thread but I just wanted
to say I have gotten rid of my NT1000. It just
really wasn't what I wanted. It wasn't what
I would call "warm". There was nothing really
wrong with it, but it was just a touch tending
toward the harsh side. For a VO mic, I think
I'd prefer something more neutral. I don't
know what the current pricing is but I'e heard
good things about the Shure SM7. I know the
Electrovoice RE20 is very popular as well.
I've heard that the RE27 has a bit more
presence to it, but maybe that means it's
more tending toward harsh which may not
be a good thing. Another one I'd consider
is the Rode NT2-A, but have not
actually heard this one.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #28
Inner Circle

I still have recordd sample of the NT2-a and some othe miccs in a folder called
RAP on my server. Help Yourself.

Ty Ford
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #29
Regular Crew

414, 57, on and on...

I own 4 AKG C414s, IIULS series. At $900 a piece... Mostly because they are my drum overheads for live sound. But for VO - with the right accessories, it'll be great. The shouckmount is made for AKG mics, but can hold others - you can use universal clip mic holders or anything small enough to hold the XLR shaft at the bottom of the mic. I like the switchable patterns, I use the cardiod @ Odb, no cut, most of the time. But in the $400 range, this is probably out of your reach.

The 57' is a great mic. $80...and sounds great, but it is a performance mic, not a recording mic, and it isnt the best. I like the stuff from CAD - it looks good, but I've only heard vocals on it. The EV RE20 has been the standard for radio for years, but I prefer the Shure SM7. If you are a pureist for natural sounding output, boom the person. Use a Sennheiser 66' and an large boom stand, large enough to go over a standing subject. Is the $400 just for the mic, or for the entire setup. Are you factoring a good music stand, mic stands, cables, pop-filters, spare parts, recording equipment, etc? An imporatant, but overlooked part is the music stand. Manhasset and Wenger make great stands, you cant get away with some $10 folding stand from a garage sale. Would you be able to pad the feet somehow? I would go with a $100-200 mic, and set the room up well.

30% mic - 70% where it is and what's around it.
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #30
New Boot

Best mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Flynn
I am in need of a good (for the price) voice over mic for my home studio. I want to use it in connection with a documentary I am finishing, and anticipate using it with a short I am about to start. My budget is about $400 (give or take a $100). I am looking for clean sound (with a bit of warmth). I know opinions will vary, but I want to know which mic YOU think is best for the money. Obviously I value actual experience with a particular mic over speculation. Thanks.
Hello. My experience has taught me that it is often necessary to match the different voice characteristics of a particular speaker with a compatible response characteristic of a given mic. I own a lot of mics - and my most expensive $1700 hasn't always been the solution in every circumstance I have heard one of my $200 mics sound better in a particular setting.

But to answer your question, IMHO, an often over-looked gem of a mic in that budget range is the AKG C-3000 series.
www.sunlightdigital.com
allen@sunlightdigital.com
tel: 310-548-5888
cel: 310-803-0978
=============================
Allen Kaufman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio