Audio Recording Portable Solution, Software. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 19th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Audio Recording Portable Solution, Software.

I am looking to use my laptop to record some voiceover work. I was wondering what software would be good for that and even if it's something I should even consider?

I currently use DV Rack on the laptop, but I would be looking at plugging in a Mixer to the laptop and running some software package for recording the voiceover.

It's an IBM X31 Thinkpad Laptop with Line In and Mic with the following audio specs:
Audio
Integrated speakers 2
Speaker power rating 1.0 Watts
Volume control buttons Yes
Speaker Quantity 2 (Internal Speakers)
Number of speakers 2
Audio chipset SoundMAX
Audio data width n/a
Audio on planar Yes

I would just like not having to capture the audio in from DV..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Would you be trying to record audio and run DVRack at the same time? If you can list some specs on the laptop (processor speed, operating system), that would help determine if the machine's up to the task.

Why do you want to record it separately?
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

When it comes to recording, Sound Forge has always been my tool of choice. It will even recordwav files as they play in another app. Even though my copy is several years old, it gets used a lot.

I just wish I knew what I was doing ;)
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Laptops generally have really bad sound cards built into them. At least it's free to try out, to see the kind of quality you will be getting. There will generally be a lot of hiss... and random noises that correlate to computer activity (i.e. network, hard drive).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Glenn.. Thanks for the reply..

That was along the lines of the question I guess is the downside to using a laptop. I would hate to drag my full tower edit system to the narration recording just to use the SB Audigy card.. However I do have Audition on that..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Pat have you looked into getting a PCMCIA sound card for your laptop. I know Digigram makes the " VXpocket 2" and Sound Blaster has the "Audigy 2 ZS Notebook". Have not played with either so I can't comment on their performance.
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #7
Inner Circle

If you have a laptop, there are various USB and firewire audio interfaces out there from around three hundred upwards. These would be ideal and would be equal to or better quality than the Audigy 2 on your tower.

Sound Devices makes the USBPre which is suitable for field recording (not very complex, hard to hit buttons accidentally, simple to use). It costs several hundred.
M-audio makes a bunch of interfaces than are good value. i.e. they sell the Mobilepre USB which is $180USD MSRP (street prices would be lower).

(Disclaimer: I haven't tried either.)
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #8
Major Player

For interfaces (firewire) try the edirol fa-101 or fa-66. For software sound forge (or Goldwave if you want to save money)
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio