xl1s audio help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

xl1s audio help

Hi everyone I have an xl1s and switched from the stock mic to an audio technica shotgun mic I can't remember the name all I know is it was $300 and was supose to be compairable to senhiesers me66. I'm connected strait to the camera using audio 2 with no ma-100. The problem is that the stock mic is producing better sound. It even picks up sound further away than the shotgun mic. I've tried ever possible setting from maual to auto everything and the stock sounds beter. My question is should I use a ma-100 adapter to get the full potential of the shotgun mic or is the stock mic just a realy good mic. By the way my shotgun mic uses a AA battery for power and i've check the battery and its good. Sorry I don't have the mic with me and I can't remember the name but I've read up on it and its supose to be better than the stock canon but so far I haven't seen this. If anyone can give me any advise please feel free. Thanks
Joe Thatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Its an at897

I found out what mic I'm using its and At897.
Joe Thatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:45 PM   #3
Major Player

A couple of things here. first ifyour using "audio 2" on the right side ,are you using 12bit 32k ? That will reduce the quality. Second is the mic output a "line level" or a "mic level"? If "mic level" did you set it to that in the menu?NOT under the cover on the left rear audio panel.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:13 AM   #4
Trustee

Also tell us what cable and/or adapters you're using to connect the AT897 to the camera inputs. If they aren't wired correctly for balanced to unbalanced conversion it can cause definite problems.
The 897 is an excellent mic with very low noise, but it also isn't tremendously sensitive. However you shouldn't have any problem achieving full sound into the XL-1s since it does have sensitive mic inputs when everything is set properly.
I would hold off on buying an MA-100. In my experience they are prone to electrical interference from the camera and are very limited in what they can do. Can you borrow a BeachTek, Sign Video or Studio1 type XLR adapter to try out?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:44 AM   #5
Trustee

You must also keep in mind that the stock mic on the XL1 (which is in fact pretty good for an onboard mic) is a stereo mic and have an omnidirectionnal pattern. Your AT mic is mono and have a cardioid pattern. In some situations, you might find that an omni mic produce a better sound due to the position in the space of your subject.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio