Oktava MK-012 Fig 8 Capsule experience? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 25th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Oktava MK-012 Fig 8 Capsule experience?

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with one of these Oktava MK012 Figure-8 head yet? The MK-012 has always been a great bang for the buck mic, and I'm trying to build a MS set up to put inside my blimp for location recordings. I would like to put two of these -012's together (one with this fig 8 tip) since they'll fit nicely inside the blimp.

For a few hundred more though I'm looking at the VP-88, but I'm not a fan of the low roll off it seems to have. Lastly, my ideal option would be a Schoeps CMC5 set up, but 5k is a bit out of my range atm :P

Thanks for input,
Zack Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Major Player

I have a modded mk-012 and like it a lot... I will await the answers to your Q with interest.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Zack, welcome to DVI. I'd double check your intended setup inside the RODE? Blimp. As the link says that Figure 8 head also needs the preamp body.

The Blimp suspension clips won't accomodate 2 mic bodies and their cables out will be a problem.

Maybe you could knock up a cage made from a couple of wire coat hangars and cover it with fake fur to suit your M/S rig.

Cheers.
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the welcomes and feedback. I am currently using a Rode blimp, not sure how you figured that one out, unless I'm missing something lol. Anyways, what I'm gonna try to do is just go ahead and order the fig 8 capsule, and order a piggy back clip from Rycote since i got the part # with correct diameter now http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...21RD_21RD.html. There's plenty of room to accommodate the mics with the rode shockmount. I think the only issue I'll have is the rear cap with the two cables. I might just leave the back cap off and let the sock drape over, until I can find a better alternative.... maybe order another rode cap i can cut into for the MS rig.. or some wire mock up as you suggested.

Just curious Chris... in what way is your MK012 modded?

Last edited by Zack Allen; September 26th, 2009 at 01:51 AM.
Zack Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Using a blimp w/o the end cap will not work well at all, as the 012 is very susceptible wind noise anyway.

Make new cables or cable links using thinner cables. Or better yet, make a cable using a (2-channel) mic cable such as the Canare L-4E3-2P-328.

FYI: Rycote 48466 21RD/21RD & 21RD/21RD Stereo Clips (2 Pack)
* B&H# RY048466 * Mfr#* 04846*
This item has been discontinued and is no longer available. Please call for more information.

Discontinued? Looks like a really useful item to me!
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
Discontinued? Looks like a really useful item to me!

Ya, B&H had the only picture of what it was so far, I'll be calling Rycote to order direct hopefully.
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Allen View Post

Just curious Chris... in what way is your MK012 modded?
There are a couple of places doing these mods... I had mine done here:

Oktava MK-012 Modification Kits and Service
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #8
Trustee

the Vp88 is a HEAVY mic. not what you want on a long boom pole. I used it for SFX recording and it was ok
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Zack, I'd totally recommend Michael Joly's OktavaMods service (OktavaMod - Affordable Boutique Microphones). I've got a modded MK-012 and it's pretty good. It's become my knock-around multi-capsule mic, and has been put into all sorts of questionable uses with no problems.

I'm afraid that I've never used the Fig. 8 capsule, but I'd bet its characteristics would match similar-pattern capsules. Joly had a nice writeup of most available capsules at Oktava MK-012 Capsule Review | recording hacks, but the Fig. 8 is sadly missing. Maybe hit oktavamods.com and drop him a note asking about the Fig. 8's characteristics?

My biggest counter-question, though, is what you intend to record with a M/S Oktava rig. If you're going for fairly significant sound sources, it should be a good combo. But if you're going to be recording quiet, low-level sound sources like ambiences, even the OktavaMods' noise floor is too high for such uses. Not at all a discouragement, just a suggestion to ensure you're looking at the right tool for the right job.

Good luck!
Nathan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Nathan, I will be using the rig for mostly "significant sources", but will end up having to use it for some ambient sources as well. I've already been spoiled with using schoeps rigs in the past, but I can't think of a cheaper way of getting such an image without spending over a grand at the moment..... do you?

So far, I got some good cooperation on getting the parts ordered from Rycote (stereo clips), and Rode sent me another blimp cap at no charge! I'll be ordering the fig 8 tip tomorrow and, hopefully if it all comes in before I leave on my shoot to the Dominican Republic :P, I'll get some recording tests posted for some folks to check out.
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Zack, for something that's lightweight and "zepplinnable" under a grand, nothing else comes to mind, as the VP88 has been mentioned already. MS stereo is definitely hard to do on the cheap. Please do report back - the Oktava Fig. 8 is pretty uncommon and hearing a report on the results would be enlightening for all. Best of luck!
Nathan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
I'm curious if anyone has any experience with one of these Oktava MK012 Figure-8 head yet? The MK-012 has always been a great bang for the buck mic, and I'm trying to build a MS set up to put inside my blimp for location recordings. I would like to put two of these -012's together (one with this fig 8 tip) since they'll fit nicely inside the blimp.

For a few hundred more though I'm looking at the VP-88, but I'm not a fan of the low roll off it seems to have. Lastly, my ideal option would be a Schoeps CMC5 set up, but 5k is a bit out of my range atm :P

Thanks for input,
It seems this figure of 8 capsule is made by 2 back-to-back cardioids. I did some MS recording, but for classical music, I still prefer ORTF or spaced omnis. MS is very good for a strong center object where you need some sound space for natural sounding.

I got a Schoeps CCM8, and tried it with CMIT5, CCM4, and CCM2. The sound is excellent, and did appeal a lot of people that never experience with MS pick-up. You do need a good mixer/recorder that allows you to monitor decoded sound, but record with MS format.
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Ya i've used many different Schoeps before, and obviously would love to have some of my own.... some day. My purposes will be for location SFX recordings mostly. For now I gotta make due with what I can, but I'll be using the two MK-012's with my ProMix6 and 702T.
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Ya i've used many different Schoeps before, and obviously would love to have some of my own.... some day. My purposes will be for location SFX recordings mostly. For now I gotta make due with what I can, but I'll be using the two MK-012's with my ProMix6 and 702T.
Hi Zack:
I don't see why you need ProMix6 for this setup. 702 got great pre-amps already. Microphones can be compared as the lenses for photography. Without good lens, no chance for qualtiy picture. I owned my first pair of Schoeps 9 years ago, they still serve the most important role to my job.
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #15
Regular Crew

There is a solution between the 'top of the range' Schoeps and the 'low end' Oktava. The Sennheiser MKH 418 MS stereo mic. I am not a big fan of the Oktava's because they are succeptable to handling noise (even boomed) and the two mic rig will only make this worse.
Mario Vermunt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio