DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Who does their own foley work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/44211-who-does-their-own-foley-work.html)

Dwight Flynn May 7th, 2005 06:42 PM

Who does their own foley work

Just curious, who among you do your own foley work. If so, what tools are you using, especially for outside recording?

Dwight Flynn May 8th, 2005 07:26 AM

Actually there is a practical reason for me asking this question. There are some sounds I want to use but cannot find (at lease not without buying a really expensive effects library). I figured it isn't the worst thing I could do to strap on my portable recorder and try to create or capture the sound myself. Since this is a bit different than simply manipulating loops, I thought I would ask about tools and process. For a recorder I figured I would use the marantz 671 (instead of a dat but correct me if I am off base), for mic AT897 (I am not certain if an omni is useful for this type of work, and if so, which would be best for under $400), for headphones the sony, etc.

Mark A. Foley May 9th, 2005 09:46 AM

I do my my own Foley work :-)

Jack Smith May 9th, 2005 10:01 AM

Mark ,I hear all your work is Foley work. LOL

Dwight Flynn May 9th, 2005 10:09 AM

Funny, not helpful, but funny:-).

Joshua Starnes May 9th, 2005 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Smith
Mark ,I hear all your work is Foley work. LOL

I've done it. For my last short I did all my own foley work in my living room with a Marantz 660 and a Sennheiser ME66. Did all my own ADR that way as well (though there was nothing automatic about it - have to cut all of it in by hand). End results were fine. The only thing you have to worry about his background noise - unless you have a soundproofed room available to you, you're going to have to pick a quiet time of day and stop for background noises to clear continously, or you will be doing a lot of audio cleaning later. Also, make sure your air conditioner is turned off.

Jack Smith May 9th, 2005 08:35 PM

Dwight...sorry, was just in one of those moods.
Hey, what sounds are you looking for? Maybe someone has recorded them and would share.
I think the process of recording is more important than the gear however lately I've used an iRiver with varing mics( dependant on the sound)
Does a resonably good job.

Aaron Koolen May 9th, 2005 11:42 PM

Me too. If you've seen my ladyX episode (EP 26 at ladyxfilms.com) - EVERY sound effect you hear was foleyed. Took me 2 weeks of after hours and weekend work inbetween the editing. Some was foleyed indoor, some captured outside. I used a ME66 (Not the best choice I think) and recorded straight into my camera.

Aaron

Dwight Flynn May 11th, 2005 05:07 PM

Right now I am trying to get the right kind of ambient background as a consistent mood setter for an indie film I am working on. I think I am good equipment wise (at897 which is adequate but not great). In some ways I am telling my stories (sorry several projects at once) with sound as much as anything else. I just got curious b/c I noticed that our little group almost never discusses foley work (I know there are some threads but not as many as I would think there would be given the number of film and trying to be film makers on this site).

Aaron Koolen May 11th, 2005 05:11 PM

I think foley is very important. Or to be more specific, I think extra ambient noises in a production are distracting. This tends to lean toward capturing your dialog clean and adding everything else in later. I prefer the results this way.

Aaron

Keith Loh May 11th, 2005 05:27 PM

Dylan Couper, Michael Moore and I made a horror short as part of a 48 hour contest this weekend. Mike was invaluable for getting SFX for us on a noisy set. Sort of ad hoc foley which I later used.

Right-click and download please:
http://www.dylancouper.com/demoreel/...tress_web2.mov

You can easily hear Mike's awesome SFX in the bathroom scene.

Dwight Flynn May 13th, 2005 10:40 PM

Nice!!!! I will add constructive thoughts in a day or so when I get a chance to listen undisturbed. (comments on the sound that is)

Keith Loh May 14th, 2005 10:11 AM

Har. Keep in mind that is what could be accomplished during the 48 hours we were alloted.