DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   How to mic a parked car (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/44445-how-mic-parked-car.html)

Marco Leavitt May 11th, 2005 08:55 PM

How to mic a parked car

No, not the car, but the people inside. Apologies if this has been asked before (did a search, couldn't find anything). This will be a two person conversation with both actors in the front seat (I think). Do I want two lavs? A boundary mic on the roof between them? Two hypercardiod capsules on each visor? One hyper cardiod on the dash in the middle pointing up at them? I have an AKG Blueline with a hypercardiod capsule that I like well enough to buy another one if I need it to make this shot work. You can get a real cool active cable for it that I suspect would be helpful here. Maybe all I want is an omni capsule and then I can tape the whole mic to the ceiling right between them?

Kevin Penhorwood May 12th, 2005 05:46 AM

Marco,

I was actually wondering the same thing. I also have a shoot coming up with two actors in the front seat of a parked car and have been trying to figure out a way to mic both of them and obtain good sound. On the surface it sounded easy but after a test I found that I have a hard time capturing good sound when the actors turned away from their respected mics. I was trying to mic them from outside each window with shotgun mics. I suspect lavs would be the best way to do this since I cannot get my shotguns inside the car.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 12th, 2005 07:13 AM

One of the projects that won at Sundance used boundaries on the roof. it worked very well for them. Lavs will work too, but I wouldn't put them on the actors themselves, simply for the reasons mentioned. Movement can create problems.

Marco Leavitt May 12th, 2005 07:40 AM

I take it that's two boundaries? Where would I put them, or do I just need to experiment?

Kevin Penhorwood May 12th, 2005 09:00 AM

That's a good question, I was thinking that since (from my understanding) boundary mics get thier sound from the surface they are attached to that you might only need one on the roof to cover an interior of a car. I would hate to buy two boundaries if I really only need one. Would one boundary on the roof work or would two be better?

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 12th, 2005 09:10 AM

It would depend on the boundary mic. I've only used the AT's and the PZM's from Crown, which aren't really a boundary mic. Using the AT's, they're a hemi-cardiod mic, and I'd want two of them, but you might get by with one in the middle, provided it was far enough forward.
You also need to take into consideration the camera perspective. In other words, the sound is different if shot from the rear seat forward (from the perspective of a passenger) vs shooting in through the windshield capturing dialog between two people.

Kevin Penhorwood May 12th, 2005 09:44 AM

Thanks for the information.

I am thinking the setup for a boundary mic would be the easiest for this situation so I will probably end up investing in a couple. We will be shooting from the front windshield and from each of the side windows (the car is a pickup truck) so the sound should be clean and crisp "as if" you were in the truck with them. Boundaries on the roof should be easy to hide. Unfortunately I don't have any place around here I can rent some to try them out.

Thanks again!! I am new to sound recording and it is definately a learning experience.