Iriver and corresponding mic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 27th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Poitras
Thanks for the suggestion, but I returned the iRiver and settled for a Sony RH-910 HiMD. I must say I’m quite happy with it, especially that Sony just released SonicStage 3.2, which allows for unlimited digital transfers of live recordings.

Regards,
Francois,
Do you notice any difference in the recordings of the iRiver
vs. the HiMD as far as hiss?
Also, when did SonicStage 3.2 get released, and what is the
advantage to this new software?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Largent
Francois,
Do you notice any difference in the recordings of the iRiver
vs. the HiMD as far as hiss?
Also, when did SonicStage 3.2 get released, and what is the
advantage to this new software?
To me, yes, the difference is obvious with my microphones, particularly with the AT822 and the AT897.

It looks like the release date was supposed to be July 27, but from the date in the link below, it appears it was released around the 24th. I could not tell you all the new features of the new version, but one of the biggest is probably that it allows unlimited digital transfers of live recordings from the HiMD unit to the computer. With the previous version, you could only digitally transfer what you had recorded once (!).

You will find more info at the following link:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=11311

HTH,
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #18
Regular Crew

So do you guys thing it is worth it to get 2 iRiver 790's @ 256MB each or just one iRiver 799 @ 1GB? I will be using them for recording of vows at weddings and that sort of thing. Is there any difference between the models except the size of the flash memory? Will 256MB be enough space to record for a few hours at a high quality?
Thanks!
-Brett
Brett Whited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #19
Major Player

Since you say the intended use will be vows .I would suggest 2 256mb
At 44k 320mbit STEREO you'll get nearly 2 hours.If you use a mono mic thats been converted for iRiver aka Giant Squid or if you make an adapter to switch mono to the right(ring) channel you will get close to 4 hours at max quality.2 units would definetly be helpful.
As far as the hiss , I don't get any so I'm wondering why some do and some don't.
People with the hiss, what setting are you using for record volume? and have you recorded just the hiss and loaded it into audio editor and found out what level the hiss is?eg. -30db or -40db?
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:44 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smith
People with the hiss, what setting are you using for record volume? and have you recorded just the hiss and loaded it into audio editor and found out what level the hiss is?eg. -30db or -40db?
Yes, I have checked just the hiss with an audio editor.
Here's what I found. (The iRiver volume is on the left
and the hiss volume is on the right.)

0 .... -90dB
6 .... -90dB
13 ... -90dB
19 ... -90dB
26 ... -84dB
32 ... -78dB
38 ... -72dB
45 ... -63dB
51 ... -57dB
58 ... -51dB
64 ... -45dB
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:58 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Dave-
Were you recording in stereo or mono mode? Does the hiss happen when recording in mono? Do the iRiver 790 models still have the hiss problem, or would it be better for me to go for a 795 model @ 512MB?
Thanks.
-Brett
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:18 AM   #22
Trustee

Brett, I was recording in stereo, mic mode. Never tried mono but would think it would be the same. I first could hear the hiss myself, when I was listening with headphones, at volume level 38, which I described in my notes at the time as "light hiss". Now, you may not notice the hiss at level 38 when listening on loudspeakers.
My guess is that this hissing is normal for all the iRivers but some people just don't pay it any attention. There has been mention by some that, basically, you don't record below level 50 with the iRivers so there is always going to be some hiss with them. The hissing does get pretty bad at the max level of 64.
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #23
Major Player

Yes there is a slight amount of hiss with the iRivers...must lets get real here folks...trying to compare iRiver recording capability to a high-end recorder is pointless. Do I use them for critical recordings...no. With that said...I love my litte iRiver recorders...it is a perfect addition to the wedding videographer's audio hand bag...they are easy to setup...easily fits in a coat pocket and easy to upload and synch. Sure there is some hiss...especially if you set the record level to high. However, any sound editor like Sound Forge easily removes the hiss.
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #24
Regular Crew

This may sound like a stupid question...but what the huge advantage between stereo and mono in reference to the iRiver? I mean, I know the difference between them, but why would you want to record in mono with the giant squid mic when you could record in stereo with a differen mic?
Thanks.
-Brett

Last edited by Brett Whited; July 28th, 2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #25
Major Player

I get the same general results as Dave is reporting with my Iriver 790. Some hiss on mic level. Definitely noticable with good headphones but not what I would consider really bad. Not noticable under normal listening conditions. No hiss at line level. I record mono using Sennheisser me66 or me64 or Rhode NT3. The Iriver is slightly noisier than my GL-2 at mic level but better than my (older) minidisc because I dont need to do the DA-AD reconversion.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #26
Major Player

Brett,
Simple...double of the record time...besides, lav mics are mono anyway
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #27
Trustee

Bill, curious what your iRiver levels are with your
powered condensers, seeing that they are high-outpout
mikes as compared to what mikes many are using with
the iRivers.
Regarding the hiss with (newer) MD as compared to iRiver,
I get less hiss with MD even when going through
the DA - AD conversion chain.
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #28
Major Player

Dave
Sorry I cant give you more details as my audio equipment is out on a fairly long term loan right now.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #29
Major Player

I seriously think someone needs to try using LINE-IN on the iRiver to see if the hiss dissapears altogether...

Francois understood what I meant, but no longer has an iRiver. My guess is the iRiver is boosting the mic-level signal and it's doing a poor job of it. And since the unit is capable of taking LINE-IN too, it is DEFINATELY worth testing. The trick is, you need to be able to step-up your mic level input to line level to test this out (and remember to put the iRiver into LINE-IN mode). If someone has this capability, they should test this out, and let us all know because that would be valuable information.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #30
Trustee

Bill, I betcha only a very small percentage of
iRivers are being used with an external mic
amplifier. And I bet you're right that there'd be
less hiss using line in.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio