Would this really be the "ultimate" wireless audio kit in this price range? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 16th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Would this really be the "ultimate" wireless audio kit in this price range?

Hi Folks,

While searching for light kits, I came across this kit on Ebay. The seller has a perfect customer service score, but I am wondering if this really is a great deal for the money, or rabid excess that is overkill?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...514299754&rd=1

here's what is included:

Included in this auction:

2: EK500 G2 Receivers
2: SK500 G2 Transmitters
2: Weather Proof Carry Pouches for Transmitters
2: SKM135 G2 Handheld Mics
4: BA2015 Rechargeable Battery Packs
2: J2015 Dockable Charging Stations
1: NT1-120 Power Supply
2: ME104-ANT Cardioid Capsules
2: MKE102-EW Omni Capsule w/Cable
1: HD280 Videographers' Headphones
1: Aluminum Hard Case

Their selling price is $3995.00 plus 50 in shipping. I haven't found a lot of similar "packages" in this or lower price ranges on the sites I have searched. Though I hadn't thought of spending this much initially, the more I look into the reality of good wireless options (and having 2 systems simultaneously) this starts to look better.

There's also this package:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...514183659&rd=1

With this included:

Included in this auction:

· 1: Sennheiser MKH-60 w/Hard Case and Mic Clip

· 1: Hard Case for MKH-60

· 1: Sennheiser EK100 G2 UHF Wireless Receiver

1: Sennheiser SK100 G2 UHF Wireless Transmitter
1: Sennheiser ME4 Cardiod Lav Mic
· 1: Transmitter Hotshoe Mounting Bracket

· 2: XLR to TRS Connection Cable

· 1: TRS to TRS Connection Cable

· 4: Duracell AA Batteries

· 1: Sennheiser HD-280 Professional Videographers' Headphones

· 1: K-Tek Custom 5 Section 9' Aluminum Internally Wired Boom Pole

· 1: K-Tek Microphone Suspension System

· 1: K-Tek Camcorder Mounting Adapter

· 1: K-Tek Wired Handgrip

· 1: K-Tek Long Hair Windscreen

· 1: Vanguard Aluminum Carrying Case

· 1: 30' XLR Cable w/ Lifetime Warranty

· 1: 2' XLR Cable w/ Lifetime Warranty

For $2595.00 which includes a complete kit, but only 1 lower end wireless system. (I plan to use 2 wireless lavs for interviews).

Obviously both of these packages are expensive, but perhaps the prices are fair and that's simply what it will cost to get quality wireless systems and quality boom mics etc. I really like that all the gear fits into one carrying case, but I haven't found similar options at many other sales sites. I am sure someone here might be able to suggest other alternatives. I need to get this stuff this week as I leave for a summer tour next weekend.

Thanks for any advice/feedback.

Brian
www.justplainfolks.org
Brian Austin Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Before I'd consider $4K for a couple wireless sets I'd have to see what that much cash would get me from Lectrosonics. Two UCR201/UM200C sets would cost you about $4K... and if you've got that kind of money then I'd look at the UCR411 Digital Hybrid System... although it's $500 more per set.

All those accessories in that auction may be nice, but if I was writing a check for that much cash I'd at least consider sacrificing the potato and parsley for a better steak.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Here's another related question to this topic:

The receivers seem to mount on the bracket that the mic normally mounts on on the XL2. So how do you use 2 wireless lav's simultaneously? Is yet another adapter required?

Brian
www.justplainfolks.org
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Major Player

i'm familiar with the auctions you're talking about. let me just say that if you need every piece of gear offered in ther package, it's actually a pretty good deal. i actually regret not getting their sennheiser uhf kit for $595. the same kit new at b&h is $599, and with the ebay auction, you get a hard case and some other extras thrown in. their other packages seem very good too, as everything they include is excellent brand name stuff (k-tek, etc.).

you should probably go over all your audio needs, and make sure you need all that stuff. the savings aren't big enough to warrant getting gear you don't need.

again, their packages are enormous, so if you need/want everything included in them, you should go for it IMHO.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #5
Major Player

regarding multiple receivers, you can either attach them to your belt, or velcro mount one/all of them in various places on your camera. you can get a pack of velcro strips from ebay cheap.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Henry,

I really appreciate your comments.

I also agree that I am trying to decide if I need all of that. I liked the package with the boom mic and wireless.. if it had the second wireless with it, I probably would go for that. I am sure I want 2 wireless lavs and having the wireless hand helds as well is a great luxury for the way I will be using this equipment, but not as urgent (I have a lot of wired mics). The head phones are good quality (list for 200 bucks, highest end Sennheiser makes). The boom arm etc.. is very nice to get included with grip etc. So neither kit is exactly what I need, but I could use all the gear in both.. so that's why I asked for feedback, or hopefully, more suggestions of similar types of kits which I haven't really found elsewhere. (Not sure why the big retailers don't offer these types of collections for folks just starting like me).

Thanks again,

Brian
www.justplainfolks.org
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have this 1 into three hot shoe adapter that I got from B&H. It basically takes the hotshoe that a mic or light would mount on and turns it into three for the two wireless that you have and an extra something else. I can't remember the name of it but it cost $25. Call-em.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio