Best way to mix live wedding audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 18th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Best way to mix live wedding audio

I'm confused about how to mix live audio at wedding ceremonies(all self taught). I shoot with two PD-170's and normally look for visual cues from both cameras to sync the main audio from one camera to the other in post(camera flash). Time is a big issue because work keeps comming in at an overwhelming rate and Im getting backed up.

I figure if I mix the churches master out with my two wireless and shotgun mics, run it to both cameras with solid XLR wires, then edit with the multi cam plug in for ppro I could save a ton of time.

My question is. What mixer would fit my needs best. I've heard alot about the dv promix 3, and the rolls MX422, but as far as I can tell, you can't feed two cameras. The PSC alphamix 4 seems to be the best choice at this point. I know this subject has been beaten to death, so any and all advice is always appreciated.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=264803&is=REG

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #2
New Boot

This is what I would do and what I am going to do. I would run a portable mixer like this one http://www.studio1store.com/xlr-bp_3_pro.htm with all the mics in one camera. Then when you bring in the video from that camera make the audio the master audio track and use it for the final video cut. If you do this you should be able to sync the video from each camera and then just cross fade to the video you want on each video lead.

Hope you understand all that.

LeEarl
LeEarl Rugland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Maybe this would be a better solution for you:
Each camera records a wireless mic and a shotgun/on-camera mic. Among your two cameras, you should have all the sound you need.

As a backup, use a hiMD/mini-disc recorder for the churches' master out. If you ever need that sound, it would not a big deal to capture and sync it. You need an adapter for the board's feed, and you may want to do a little research on the upload limitations of the mini-disc recorder.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio