Audio Monitor Speakers - advice - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:58 AM   #31

The M-Audio LX4 is an excellent budget-conscious system. We use them on some of our smaller training tours. In a room of 12 x 12, they are just about perfect for reasonably good nearfield. Put the speaks on a set of Auralex MoPads, they really sing nicely.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:31 PM   #32
Capt. Quirk

Mopads? What are those?
Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:27 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Isolation. Google them.
Bogdan Apetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:04 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Anyone have any impressions of the Behringer "Truth" 2031A's. See from their website there's an interesting looking matched sub, Truth 2029A on the way promised Q3. Gave a pair a non-critical listen at dealer the other day and they sounded pretty good.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #35
Regular Crew

just to add a little more confusion to the mix here:

My understanding was that most recording studio's had a pair of NS-10 monitors _in addition_ to their main monitors such as JBLs, Urei, or other accurate _expensive_ large monitors (typ. 10-12 in woofers). I have never heard of any serious studio that mixed exclusively on ns-10 monitors and, in fact, they were there to get an idea of what the mix would sound like on standard home audio gear (to be sure it would sound ok on a cheap stereo) and not really used for the main mixing tasks. I still have a pair of tascam 4406s (6in woofer) that I paid $450 back in '85 that made ns-10s sound like a boom box. I know a lot of "home studios" that used them (ns-10s) to mix stuff from their 4-track cassette machines... Again, I must say that DSE is spot on the money! just my 2 cents. Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Mark Burlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Burlingame
just to add a little more confusion to the mix here:

My understanding was that most recording studio's had a pair of NS-10 monitors _in addition_ to their main monitors such as JBLs, Urei, or other accurate _expensive_ large monitors (typ. 10-12 in woofers). I have never heard of any serious studio that mixed exclusively on ns-10 monitors and, in fact, they were there to get an idea of what the mix would sound like on standard home audio gear (to be sure it would sound ok on a cheap stereo) and not really used for the main mixing tasks. I still have a pair of tascam 4406s (6in woofer) that I paid $450 back in '85 that made ns-10s sound like a boom box. I know a lot of "home studios" that used them (ns-10s) to mix stuff from their 4-track cassette machines... Again, I must say that DSE is spot on the money! just my 2 cents. Mark
Have a pair of ADS L1230 floor standing monitors that I bought back in 1980, paid about 2 kilobucks for the pair as I recall. Sounded great when each side was split for biamping using ADS's active crossovers and driven by a Carver M400 on each side and I'm still using them today for my home theatre front L/R speaks. Planning the upgrade on my PC into a quality audio/video editing workstation and I've been tempted with the thought of using them as my monitors since the manuals say they were designed as near-field / mid-field monitors, I was told many years ago they were originally intended for DG's mixing studios.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #37
Trustee

Would these monitors you guys have been discussing, especially the M-Audio DX4s that look very nice, small, and in my prirce range, work for surround mixing as well by using three pairs and a subwoofer?

Thanks!

Peter
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #38

If you like the DX4, you might as well buy the LX4 kit consisting of 5 satellites and a sub. At a budget level, it's a very nice, very sweet sounding system for the bux. Nice in a small room, definitely.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #39
Trustee

Ah, looks great. Thanks Douglas!
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #40
Trustee

Well, wound up going with the BX5's after falling in love with them at first sound! Absolutely beautiful speakers. The store will give me a deal on 3 more + a sub when I'm ready to up to 5.1. Already my CD mixes sound better just by being able to hear them so clearly.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio