DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode NTG-2 or Videomic? Other suggestioins appreciated (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/45374-rode-ntg-2-videomic-other-suggestioins-appreciated.html)

Clint Grant May 29th, 2005 05:24 PM

Rode NTG-2 or Videomic? Other suggestioins appreciated

Hi. I am looking for a shotgun mic that i can use all around, in a cheaper price range. I use a GL2 right now, and the mic would have to be good for camera mounting and possibly a boom pole. I'm on a cheaper budget, and could only go for something like the Rode NTG-2 or Videomic. Which of these two would be better for all-around use? (Also, which sounds better?) If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Thank you very much for your time and help, Clint Grant

Bruce S. Yarock May 29th, 2005 10:06 PM

i got the at897 (started with my GL1) and now use it on my XL2. I'm very happy with it.
Bruce yarock

Stu Holmes May 30th, 2005 01:31 AM

Hi Clint

I've got a Rode Videomic on my HC1000 and am very pleased with it. It's got an integral shockmount, it's battery powered, has a low-cut filter, and Rode do a long-haired windsheild to fit it.

The shockmount has another benefit - it gets the mic fairly high above the hotshoe and this :
a) helps to reduce any tape-noise pickup
b) keeps the Videomic out of shot when you've got a wide-angle lens attachment as i often have.
With a mic like the Sennheiser MKE300, it's MUCH closer to the body of the camera and would probably be in shot with a wide-angle attachment (especially when using a windshield, but maybe even without).

Videomic is about 150USD (i think) or about 200 Aussie dollars, or about GBP90.

ps. the Videomic also has multiple mount points - you can attach it to a tripod/monopod or boom as well as 2 different mount-points for the hotshoe, so plenty of flexibility. It's my 2nd external mic (1st was a Sony HSM1 which was cheap and cheerful) and i think it sounds really pretty good.

Clint Grant May 30th, 2005 04:55 PM

Thank you very mocu for your help, both of you. Your advice really helped me out.

Clint Grant May 30th, 2005 04:56 PM

That's "very MUCH" from the previous reply.....sorry! (I said mocu)

Mark Easton May 30th, 2005 05:04 PM

Stu

Have you tried to use your videomic on a boom pole? If so, how has it performed. I know that since it is unbalanced you can't extend it too far for the camera without issues but I would like to know what people's experiences are in the real world i.e. How far from the mike can you get before the problems detract for the quality etc.

Thanks
Mark

Clint Grant May 30th, 2005 05:22 PM

Videomic On Boom Pole

Now to that question, I've hears that the Videomic drops SIGNIFICANTLY in sound quality on a boom. Also, if the boom is metal, it makes the videomic sound even WORSE. This is just what I've heard, don't know from experience. (any other suggestions for a mic i shoud use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks)

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 30th, 2005 08:26 PM

If it's balanced at the mic cable, the videomic sounds just fine/the same on a boom. It's a HiZ mic, so you'd expect it to suck if it was run down a long cable, and induce noise at the same time. Mics don't sound differently on different stands, not in most cases. It's the cables they're connected to that screw them up.

Ty Ford May 31st, 2005 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
If it's balanced at the mic cable, the videomic sounds just fine/the same on a boom. It's a HiZ mic, so you'd expect it to suck if it was run down a long cable, and induce noise at the same time. Mics don't sound differently on different stands, not in most cases. It's the cables they're connected to that screw them up.

Um, you might want to recheck you facts. The VideoMic is a low (200 Ohms) impedance mic.

http://www.rode.com.au/images_specs/...hite_paper.pdf

The issue is one of balanced versus unbalanced, not impedance.

Unbalanced audio is more prone to interference than balanced audio. UnBalanced audio also is lower in level given the same source.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford May 31st, 2005 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint Grant
Now to that question, I've hears that the Videomic drops SIGNIFICANTLY in sound quality on a boom. Also, if the boom is metal, it makes the videomic sound even WORSE. This is just what I've heard, don't know from experience. (any other suggestions for a mic i shoud use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks)

I'd have to know a lot more about the tests to believe that it wasn't operator error. The number of places at which the wrong cable/connection/adapter could have been used in such an experiment make it highly suspect.

The issue here is balanced versus unbalanced. Since the mic itself is low impedance, it can drive a fairly long cable. Because it was made specifically for unbalanced camcorder audio inputs with a short cable, it would not be my first, second or third grab for a boom mic.

I see a lot (too much) of the "I really want one mic to do all my audio" syndrome here. This is yet another example. I'll say it again. Yes, you can play a round of golf with just a five iron, but you won't have much fun.

If you misuse your tools, you only have yourself to blame. Don't blame the tools.

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS: Rode may soon have an extender cable for the VideoMic with appropriate electronics to balance the cable. There's no reason why that can't be done. Given the diameter of the mic's diaphragm (smaller diaphragms mean noisier mics), you'd do better getting one of their NTG-1 or NTG-2 mics.

Clint Grant June 4th, 2005 08:42 AM

Thank you everyone for the help

Thank you very much to everyone for the great help and advice. This had been of great benefit to me, as I am still only learning. I'll talk again in other posts, Clint Grant