WHICH IS QUIETER- NTG-2 or VIDEOMIC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 05:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

WHICH IS QUIETER- NTG-2 or VIDEOMIC?

Hey everybody. I have a small budget (VERY small) for a microphone, and can only afford either the Rode Videomic or NTG-2. So my question is: Which mic is quieter/has less internal noise? I just need a starter mic right now that can teach me all the possibilities of audio in video, and later I'm going to expand into something more expensive, maybe a Sennheiser Me-66. Thanks for your help, Clint Grant
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:10 PM   #2

Given that choice, I'd get the NTG-2.
It won't come close to teaching you "all the possiblities of audio in video" but it will give you a pretty good glimpse of what a better than average or on-camera mic can do for your productions. It's a very good entry level mic, no doubt.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The Videomic might actually be better? Supposing you run out of money buying the NTG-2, the Videomic would:
A- Actually work, if your camera only has mini-plug input. If your camera has XLRs, then there are probably better choices out there.
B- The videomic comes with a shockmount to cut down on handling noise.
C- Short enough that it doesn't stick in the frame. If using a wide-angle adapter, this becomes more important (and a wide-angle adapter can let you get closer to people in some situations and pick up their sound better).
The NTG-2 is not particularly long and you can figure out if it would get in frame before you buy.

Certainly if you had more money the NTG-2 would make sense. There may also be other good solutions at that price point. A lot of it depends on:
A- What camera and XLR adapter (if any) do you own?
B- Your budget
C- What kind of things you shoot. If you do lots of sit-down interviews, a wired lav can/will give you much better sound than a camera-mounted microphone.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:49 PM   #4

Well stated points, Glen. Sometimes in the process of looking at which is better, an apple or an orange, I forget that there is the process of eating one or the other. You don't have to peel an apple. :-)
Even though the orange tastes better, it's not always the best choice.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:38 PM   #5
DVCreators.Net

Maybe this will help, I produced a short QuickTime which gives a little closer glimpse of the VideoMic. I wish I had more time to do head to head comparisons, but I did get a sax player to come in and perform a quick number with the Videomic and Sennheiser ME-66. You can hear it here, scroll down to RØDE VideoMic http://dvestore.com/theatre
Old June 3rd, 2005, 01:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Guy Cochran, I checked out your site for the Videomic, and I'm really convinced. When you had the sax comparison with Videomic and Me-66, I didn't really notice any difference! I see your point on 20 foot cables, but it would be more important to me to mount it on the camera than use a boom right now.

As for the earlier question of what kind of film I shoot: I never do sit-down interviews. I only shoot outdoors, at a proximity of 10 to 30 feet from my subject (actors), and it is usually windy.

Also, thank you everyone else for your insight and quick reply. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated also. Clint Grant
Old June 3rd, 2005, 02:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

You may/will pick up lots of background noise at 10-30 feet. Decreasing the distance would improve sound a lot more (by reducing b/g noise) than getting a better microphone. On the other hand, depending on your situation, a on-camera mic might work ok for you??? (I doubt it though.)

Moving the actors closer, using a planted/hidden mic, wireless lav, hand-held microphone, or boom mic would be ways to get the microphone closer.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 02:58 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes, I've learned from experience that the closer they are, the better, especially with a lavalier mic. That is also why the NTG-2 could be more helpful, as I could use it on a boom pole....still can't really decide on which mic....
Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Is Videomic Balanced?

While going through the PDF files for the Videomic and NTG-2, I noticed that the description for the NTG-2 said it was Balanced input, while the Videomic did not mention wheteher it was balanced or unbalanced. Is the Videomic balanced, or not? If not, what kind of connector/adapter do I need? Thanks for your help, Clint Grant
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:16 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Grant
While going through the PDF files for the Videomic and NTG-2, I noticed that the description for the NTG-2 said it was Balanced input, while the Videomic did not mention wheteher it was balanced or unbalanced. Is the Videomic balanced, or not? If not, what kind of connector/adapter do I need? Thanks for your help, Clint Grant
The VideoMic is a Low Impedance, Unbalanced mic. It has been cleverly wired to mate correctly with the unbalanced 1/8" camcorder stereo inputs. The mic feeds both channels.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply. Does this mean it would be better to get a balanced mic? Thanks again, Clint Grant
Old June 4th, 2005, 09:07 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Grant
Thanks for the reply. Does this mean it would be better to get a balanced mic? Thanks again, Clint Grant
As for the earlier question of what kind of film I shoot: I never do sit-down interviews. I only shoot outdoors, at a proximity of 10 to 30 feet from my subject (actors), and it is usually windy.

Clint; If this is how you work, you should get a wireless rig with a lav. I wouldn't use a camera mounted mic for what you're doing.

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #13
Regular Crew

My kind of shooting

Ty, thanks for the lav suggestion, but I already have one. This was my mistake, as I didn't mention that. Yes, I already use lav mics, but need a camera mounted/boom mike for some closer shots. I apologize for not mentioning this earlier, as I have created more trouble! Sorry everyone, Clint
Old June 4th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #14

Clint, just as an aside, camera mounted and boom mounted are two very different animals, especially with the same mic being discussed for both positions.
Shotguns aren't good for indoors most of the time, and camera mounted shotguns have value maybe 10% of the time. You want to put a Rode VideoMic on a boom, you'll need a balancing adapter, because it is an unbalanced mic.
All mics are best used as close to the subject as possible in most instances.
While the VideoMic is a decent mic, I'd be going for the NTG-2, unless your cam doesn't have balanced inputs. You'd need to spend additional cash for a balanced to unbalanced device at the cam end, but you'll also need an unbalanced to balanced adaptor for the VideoMic at the boom end if you go that direction.
Old June 7th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #15
Major Player

What the Rode Videomic excells at is on camera interviews when you don't have an extra audio guy. I use a wide ange lense on my VX2000 all the time. When I do an on-camera interview, I have the camera zoomed out as wide as possible and get right up close to the person I'm interviewing, usually holding the camera away from my face and using the screen so as not to freak them out. As a result, the mic is close enough to sound great. For a documentary type shoot, sometimes this is all you need.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio