Boy Band Electronic Effect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 5th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Trustee

Boy Band Electronic Effect

Does anyone know a good way to make that electronic boy-band vocal sound? I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. Just listen to anything from Backstreet Boys or NSync. Thanks for any help.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #2

:-) Hire real singers, and have the "boyz" lip sync.

Seriously, there is a lot of compression, widening, EQ multi-tracked voice, and harmonic enhancement. There are even some presets on the TC Electronics Wizard for this particular sound. If you're a Vegas user, our FM tool has a couple presets that will help you get there, but it won't accomplish the whole thing.

Don't forget the Antares Auto-Tune either. Required for those tight harmonies.

A lot of it is the mic and recording technique too.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:28 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for your help! Yeah I was looking to do this in Vegas. So Vegas wouldn't have this ability built in I take it? I'll check out your FM tool. I'm doing a lot of compression already (I often do that) but I don't have any idea how to do widening or "harmonic enhancement"). If anyone else knows of any tools or presets to try please let me know. This is for an "I want it That Way" parody so it doesn't have to be perfect but I want it close. And my singers are very good. :)
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #4

Vegas has all the TOOLS, but no presets or anything like that which I could recommend. It's all ears and experimenting at that point.
FM merely takes the Vegas tools that exist, and uses presets and configurations built by myself, John Rofrano, and Jeffrey Fisher. We're about to release an update to FM that includes some tools NOT found in Vegas, if you buy now, you'll get the update free, if you buy later, you'll get the version with the update, so there is no rush if you wanna start playing now or later. There is also the trial version that runs for 14 days.

Also, check out demos' from WAVES and iZotope. I'm a HUGE fan of the iZotope stuff.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #5
Trustee

Yeah I noticed that when I downloaded FM. Very useful tool though (like everything on VASST).

I'll tell you what works really well for me is the multi-tap dynamic plugin in vegas. Some of those presets sound very electronic and I'm pretty close to what I want I think but I'm gonna check out some enhancer plugins designed for this sort of thing too.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio