DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Which keyboard controller to get (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/45800-keyboard-controller-get.html)

Dwight Flynn June 6th, 2005 05:08 PM

Which keyboard controller to get

I need to buy a keyboard controller primarily for use in sound design. I'm not too proud to admit that I am new to this device, so I really don't know which one to get. I have been doing some research and the edirol PCR-80 seems to be good option. Guys I'm somewhat shooting in the dark here so help!!! BTW, my budget is $400 or under.

Thanks

Paulo Figueiredo June 6th, 2005 07:22 PM

hi

I'm looking to buy a keyboard controller too...just waiting for the funds. :)

Maybe the purpose for me is somewhat different from yours but I settled my choice with Novation Remote 25. thats a 2 octave keyboard (maybe not enough for you but there's a 49 version).
the really good thing i find n this model is the rest of the controllers. lots and lots of knobs and sliders... a 2 way stick...a touchpad...all assignable.
the main purpose for me will be VJing and life performance with resolume and isadora...but with some work I'll be able to edit with that also. and maybe use for sound too :)

it also seems a lot sturdier than edirol or m-audio models

better than these falls out of your price range.

the m-audio oxigen and O2comes with incorporated sound card...that releases you from the computer leash and gives you better sound han the regular laptop soundcard...but if you are into sound designing you already know that.

there are a lot of options out there...but in your price range just pick one that feels right...with weighted keys...or else it will feel like a computer keyboard.

hope this messed post helps

p.s.:currently "druged" after a trip to the dentist...not very clear minded right now :)

Henry Cho June 6th, 2005 09:50 PM

some questions... what applications do you plan on using a midi controller for? do you need a full length keyboard? do you need built-in sounds? if you're a heavy-duty reason (or vsti) user, do you want knobs to assign automation?

when i bought my midi controller, i remember weighted keys was very important to me. i wanted the thing to feel like a professional keyboard, and not a cheap toy.

i've had a roland pc200 mkII for about six or seven years now and it's served me fine. it's plain and simple... weighted keys, four octave keyboard, high/low octave buttons, and a modulation wheel. no knobs, built-in sounds, or anything else for that matter. when i did a bit of composing and arranging professionally a few years back, primarily through cubase, it was a workhorse for me. sometimes i felt myself wanting a full length keyboard, but, in the world of midi for a computer sequencer, it's a minor incovenience. also, back when i messed a lot with rebirth, way before reason ever came out, i really wanted a keyfax phatboy, which is a midi controller made entirely of knobs. i talked myself out of it.

i don't believe roland makes midi controllers anymore, as edirol has taken over that market for them. my co-worker, also a producer for shady records, and i use an edirol pcr 50 at work for occassional sound design, primarily with nuendo and reason. it's fine. it's got knobs, but i don't think we've ever touched them.

a friend, a logic user, loves his m-audio controller. i love m-audio stuff. i've been using a delta-66 for years, but i don't have any experience with their controllers.

there are so many options out there now for midi controllers, which was not the case a few years ago. some are even tailor made for specific applications.

all that said, based on personal experience, i think the edirol controllers are a solid buy.

Dwight Flynn June 7th, 2005 04:24 AM

Assignable keys are important and also a weighted feel. As for a full keyboard with built-in sounds, it would be nice, if I could pull it off in my price range.

Henry Cho June 7th, 2005 12:41 PM

i just took a look at the pcr-80 and, in my opinion, it looks perfect for your budget...
good luck.