Which Microphone Is Better? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 14th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which Microphone Is Better?

Hello everyone. Which of these two would you view as a better mic in general? 1. Rode NTG-2. 2. Audio Technica AT897? Thanks for your help and time.
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #2
Trustee

Search the threads here for ntg-2. There are some separate samples of each posted online, as well as some opinions from direct comparisons. I'm not sure if there are any direct comparison samples posted yet.
I haven't used the ntg-2 yet, but I do have an AT897, as well as AT4073a and Senn K6/ME-66. The AT897 is a well built, low-noise mic with very good performance for the money. It has fairly low sensitivity, the Rode is slightly hotter. Beyond that you'd really have to listen to them together in your typical working environment to know for sure, the specs other than sensitivity are very similar. The price difference is $31.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you very much for the quick response. Much appreciated.
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I had the NTG-2 for a week, but changed it for the AT897. Even though the NTG-2 had a little more bass, I prefer the sound of the AT897. I just feel it has more detail, and that’s where my preference goes. Two good mics, but it’s matter of taste, I guess.

I’d be curious to hear what DSE and Ty Ford have to say about those mics. They’ve tested both, if I’m not mistaken.
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:52 AM   #5
Major Player

I tested it here and also the AT897. I had both microphones at the same time and they are very similar. The RØDE is more sensitive and has a more bassy sound, probably because the electret capsule is 3mm larger than the AT897. Some may prefer that characteristic.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank You

Thanks to you both for the great advice. Personally, I THINK I prefer slightly "bassier" sound. I'll keep looking into it , though. Thanks once again, Clint.
Clint Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio