AT897 and flat/roll off switch at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 16th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #1
New Boot

AT897 and flat/roll off switch

Obviously a newbie question here, but ...

I just bought an AT897 and I see it has a flat/roll-off switch. Upper setting is slightly curved and the bottom setting is flat.

Can someone please explain what each setting is (I assume the flat icon is for the flat setting, but you never know) and what environment I would use each for?

Thanks alot in advance.

marc
Marc Lipschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The flat setting should be just that, flat. The other should be a low frequency roll off (which also can be called a high-pass filter) this cuts off low frequency vibrations, rumble, bumps, etc... these mics are very sensitive and usually you are not wanting to pick up these very low frequency sounds. I always have them enabled. Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Mark Burlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Fred Retread

Correct, Marc. The straight icon indicates the flat setting and the curved one the bass roll-off position.

Sometimes you might want to reduce (roll off) the bass response of the mic. Examples are to reduce background rumble due to traffic noise or air conditioning, or to to counter the "proximity effect" of excessive bass due to having the mic very close to a person's mouth.
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #4
New Boot

great thanks.

The guy at the audio store told me I might want to put it on the flat setting if I was doing any narration/voiceover work. Do you agree with that?
Marc Lipschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

i would agreee with that, as long as you're careful with placement and maybe consider a pop filter (those are about $25 at places like musician's friend, etc.)

i mainly use the low cut for outside use, where wind often creates low-frequency rumbling. but for v.o., the thing to be careful of (in terms of low-freq stuff,) is plosives.

if you repeat the word "purple," (or something else with p's,) and move your hand from side to side in front of your face, you'll feel the "p's" when your hand is in front of your mouth. that little blast of air, which is very directional, often translates into a low frequency pop/bumping sound on mics. if you play with mic positioning, and/or get a pop filter, you can avoid it.

i usually try to get my sound right first with acoustics, mic placement, etc, and only use electronic fixes when necesary. but, there's nothing especially evil about the high pass filter. they typically cut out stuff below like 80 or 100 hz, which you don't really need for what you're doing.
Nate Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio