out of the business at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 6th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Major Player

out of the business

As a lot of you may have noticed, I haven't been around in a while. I have opted to get out of the business. There were many reasons for it, but it was time for me to hang up my mics. I have resisted putting this here in this forum because I didn't want it to sound like an advertisement, but since a lot of my gear has sold very quickly and I'm not sure how many people here look in the classified area, I'll just mention that I have listed nearly everything I have (although I am finding small things daily) in the classified section.

I'll pop in from time to time and see if I can add anything to the conversations, but now that I'm not working in the business, I'm not sure how much I can add to new discussions (particularly around gear).

All the best,
Wayne
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Warm regards Wayne, and best wishes for your next act, whatever that may be. Thanks for all of your input here,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

So sorry to see you go Wayne, your contributions here were always on the money and you know your stuff. Your input to the discourse here will be missed.

Just out of curiosity, if you are comfortable letting us know, why are you leaving the business and what are your plans moving forward?

Bon Voyage,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Dan:

I've been pondering it for about a year now. My dad passed away last September and I kept trying to spend more time with my not-so-young-anymore daughter and wife after that. I am also a writer (it's actually what my degree is in), and picked up a full-time writing position, so I was doing sound around that and not doing the things I enjoy. Seems every time that we wanted to go somewhere or do something, I would get a call for a gig. During the past 5 months, I took only 1 day gigs and turned down everything else. Because of that, the calls were not flowing as often and I had a ton of gear collecting dust. As my wife and I discussed riding our motorcycles (we are both passionate about riding our bikes), I decided it really was time to clean house and clear out gear. Besides, it's really not a lot of fun chasing down dead-beats and trying to collect money.

I've been in audio, working off-and-on now for nearly 25 years. I've seen a lot of changes and who knows, maybe in another few years I'll decide to pick up the mic again, but for now it's just time to let the younger folks do it. I've been fortunate and have only had a few really bad gigs (ironically one of my worst was a union gig). I might still give a sound class here in town or go talk to some of the indie filmmakers who need advice on sound, but for the most part, I'm really trying to get out and stay out. ;-)

So there, you now have the long version.

Cheers,
Wayne
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I hear ya Wayne, been thirty years here, but I have no other way to support myself. My (ex) wife is loooooong gone, right after my first trip to Africa in 93', and spending $2000+ on a new microphone/boom set-up.
I wish the best.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

It sounds as if audio has become an optional thing for you Wayne, you have a lot of other stuff going on. Best of luck in moving forward in your life.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #7
DVCreators.Net

Thank you for your contributions here on DVinfo. I have always enjoyed reading your posts as they have contained some of the most valuable and helpful information. Good luck in your future endeavors. You have some good karma coming your way.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio