Removing wind noise in post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Removing wind noise in post

I recently shot some footage in a woodland area using a lapel mic with sponge wind protector and a second shot at the same scene using a hand held Sennheiser ME44 with deadcat. the end result is still a lot of wind noise - about equal in either shoot mode - actually, it is perhaps more accurately the rustling of leaves in the trees as well.
as wind

Whilst I don't mind some noise, afterall it is woodland, there are times when the narration is slightly overpowered by the noise, is there anything I can do in post production to reduce this background noise.

My NLE is Sony Vegas Pro 9.
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'll assume you don't have any kind of NR program, so, you need to find the freq that the noise is. I would find some of the wind without any other sound behind it, split that part of the track, you can recombine later, then goto Non-Real Time FX and try the Track EQ on that clip. I would goto the #2 tab which makes the blue dot red and pull it down to about 150 with the gain set to about -12 and the bandwidth to about 1. That's a starting point, play with it from there, and see what happens. You might want to try some combinations of #1 and #2 but I think #2 might be the one. Oh yeah, once you have what you want, save it as a preset, makes it a lot easier later.
HTHs
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don, I'll give that a try
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Trustee

Roll off the bass end at around 150hz, boosting the mid and highs a little will help pull out the voices.
Have a listen to the High Force item on here:iNorthEast.tv

It is two G2 radio mics in a strong wind and I used the above filtereing to remove the wind noise.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio